Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pensa basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bikeplate, Sep 24, 2002.

1. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Who knows about these basses? Any recommended types or models? New or preowned? Are certain years better than others? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Rob

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    AWESOME BASSES.

Nothing wrong with sadowsky or any of the other jazz bass clones, but the Pensa and original Pensa-Suhr basses are wonderfull!!!!!! And my first choice when it comes to a Jazz clone. All I have to say is Victor B. use to play all the time!

3. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Thanx Brian. I met you at NAMM a couple years back. I've got a line on one and love jazz basses. Figured I'd give one a whirl. I've had or have every other jazz clone except a Pensa. Hopefully this one will be killer

Rob

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Cool, if your at NAMM in Jan. look for me. I'll be around the Benavente Booth some of the time. Bring the pensa!!!!

5. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Great. I plan on being there

Rob

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    are you looking at a pensa or a pensa suhr? i dont really know much about either other than victor baileys pensa suhr was assembled from tom anderson parts.

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    pensa-suhr was the oiginall, then John Suhr split and now builds guitars. Suhr hasn't come out with any basses yet. Although he still builds all the pickups and preamps for the pensa's. Yes, VB's has an original Pensa-Suhr. I've owned both and they are both VERY nice basses and not really any different.

8. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I believe Richard Bona plays a Pensa-Suhr

9. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i know all that, but i was wondering which one rob was looking at.

10. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I don't know myself. I have to go and check it out. I didn't want to get to interested until I got some feedback. It's supposedly one that a guy named Mas put together before he left the co. I'm sure the preamp is pensa-suhr

Rob

11. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i think the ones put together by mas hino are all the newer pensa's sans john suhr.