Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pensa-suhr ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SubDubMan, May 29, 2002.

1. SubDubMan

SubDubMan

Apr 26, 2002
    where can you find these basses??

2. I was wondering the same thing after hearing Richard Bona on Mike Stern's 'Voices'...he has such a GREAT tone...I looked all over the 'net but could only find Pensa...maybe the relationship has gone south. I have not seen any in any stores. Good luck.

3. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    John Suhr bailed out a couple of years ago, and he went to work for the Fender custom shop. He now owns Suhr guitars in Lake Elsinore, CA. He's going to make a J-styled bass very soon...it should be deadly. A big part of that sound is in his preamp, which he currently sells direct. They're worth every penny, and more.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Rudy Pensa still makes in-house instruments that are available through Rudy's Music Shop. He has some Japanese guy doing the lutherie.

5. Hipnotic

Hipnotic

Feb 26, 2002
    CT/NY U.S.A.
    Check out www.pensaguitars.com. Awesome basses. I try them out whenever I go into Rudy's. They're Fender Jazz bass copies like a Sadowsky if you didn't know. I've been thinking of getting one myself.

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Wow, those are incredibly sweet! Me likes! :)

7. JohnSuhr

JohnSuhr

May 31, 2002
    Yes I am still alive and very well
    I left Fender and started my own company about 4 years ago. We make everything here at our own facilty including pickups, active electronics and do our own paint etc. Our Basses will be introduced in about 3 months. Active EQ's J Bass Pickups both Single coil and Humfree are available now.
    Keeping checking my site for the updates and more info
    Thanks!
    John Suhr
    www.suhrguitars.com
    :pwww.suhrguitars.com

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hey, John, welcome to TalkBass.

Couple nagging questions:

Why are there no basses on your website?

Did you have any input in Fender's Victor Bailey model?

9. JohnSuhr

JohnSuhr

May 31, 2002
    They are not on the website becaused they are not released yet, It'll be about 3 months for the first model to be out which is basically a J Bass High tech With some options but remaining true to vintage specs on the Bridge, Neck shape, Body Shape fingerboard radius etc. Some nice improvements like an improved truss rod and stainless steel frets for longer life.

Even though I did make Victors Bass while at Pensa-Suhr (out of Tom Anderson Parts before he made his guitar line) I had left Fender before Victor started on his project with Fender. While at Fender I did do electronics work for Fender on the active EQ, Pickups and Stu Hamm as well as the Deluxe series. I also did some 6 and 5 string Basses for Wayman Tisdale.

I will post info on the website as soon as the prototypes are finished.
    Thanks!
    Suhr

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Here's an idea for you, John: A 6-string J-Bass. I think only Atelier Z makes a regular production model (Schecter makes one on special order) and their stuff is from Japan and hard to find.

11. JohnSuhr

JohnSuhr

May 31, 2002
    That 6 String I made for Wayman was bitchin and had the character of a Jazz but had a little different shape. It was 35" scale though, The Low B was HUGE.
    The problem with a 6s Jazz body and 5 string body is you have to play with the horns or your access to the upper frets is limited too much. We will definately go there but I want to get the basic Jazz out of the way first,