1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pentatonic question, Other modes and scales

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by tpmiller08, Apr 21, 2009.

1. tpmiller08

tpmiller08

Mar 15, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Can the major and minor pentatonic (am i spelling pentatonic wrong?) pattern be applied to the modes?

Like can you play the Major Pentatonic Pattern / Intervals to the F - Lydian Mode? Can you add the minor pentatonic to the blues scale?

Obviously you *can* do it. I'm really just curious to as, is there a pentatonic pattern / interval for every mode? Or just Major and Minor?

-Troy

2. Yes there are, at least 98 of them, although they may be called by various names. It is technically,as I understand it, a term you can use correctly to describe any 7 tone octave scale with any two notes deleted. I have misplaced my favorite "Pocket Music Theory" book, which is a wonderful cheap and concise and useful paperback. There is also a bit of good stuff in the classic "Bass Grimoire" By Adam Kadmon, Carl Fisher publicaions.
    Actually, the wikipedia entry is pretty informative also: wikipedia.org/wiki/pentatonic.scale or just google "pentatonic" .
    Thanks for asking, I enjoyed the review, and likely needed it more than you. Cheers

3. tpmiller08

tpmiller08

Mar 15, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Thanks man, appreciate it :hyper:

-Troy

4. Jayhawk

Jayhawk

Sep 6, 2006
    Kansas City
    Not 100% sure if this is what you're looking for, but a fellow TB'er (ethans1980) has a blog where he talks about applying the pentatonic scale over various modes in relationship to soloing. He has a thread in this same section called "Free Lessons." His blog URL is http://finerethan.wordpress.com/. You may want to check it out.