Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pentatonic Scale

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by relman, Jan 3, 2001.

1. What is this? How do you play it? AAAArgh!!!!!!!!

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Pentatonic Scales are great. They are a scale comprised of 5 notes (hence the "pent"). There are many forms of pentatonic scales. Pentatonic scales are very musical and usually do not contain any "avoid notes" (such as the perfect 4th in a Major Chord). In western music the major pentatonic scale in the key of C is C,D,E,G,A. It is a great scale, very musical, no avoid notes and works over many different forms of a major chord (maj, maj 7, dom 7, maj 6, 6/9 ...). You can play the different "modes" of the major pentatonic as well. Play the same notes starting and ending on D, E, G and A. You will notice that the mode built on A is very similar to a blues scale and can be used as such. You can use these modes over different chord forms as dictated by function and sound. Try playing the scale and its modes up and down the neck. I think you will agree that they are very melodic and musical. They work nice for soloing.

Mike Dimin

3. Thanks!!!!!!!! It's a bit confusing but i get it.
    I just realized that the bass "solo" in the beggining of Sweet Child of Mine is based on this scale.
    Thanx again!