Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pentatonic scales and riffs

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by dodgy_ian, Nov 24, 2004.

1. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    I posted this just now in tablature but this is probably a better place for it...

I'm just looking for some basslines for songs that are written mainly in the pentatonic and are fun but not totaly easy to play. Am teaching three kids at the mo and would realy like some fun examples to use with them. ANy ideas? Just song names would be good as i'll sore it out onto manuscript - none of this tab business hey!!!

Thanks

Dodge

2. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Guitar Boogie by Arthur Smith springs mind. that uses Pentatonic riffs. In the Mood by Roger Miller, the bass player uses Pentatonic riffs. You could also teach them some of the melody as well.

Just to add, all my fills and runs I do are Pentatonic - a very versitile scale.

3. I've always liked John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin bassist) basslines for pentatonic practice.

My favorites with pentatonic riffs are: that girl she got long black wavy hair & the lemon song

Also, there is a Sublime song I used to play with to warm up my pentatonic abilities. It was called "ebin".

4. Brian S

Brian S

Nov 11, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Stevie Wonder's Sir Duke is a good example. The instrumental part is nothing but pentatonic.

5. Something interesting for you to experiment with:

The modes of pentatonic scales. :)

You can get some great sounds.

6. You could learn the Melody to "Chamelion" By Maynard Ferguson / Herbie Hancock, Its completley Bb pentatonic.

7. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    Check out "Touch Me In The Morning", by Diana Ross. Bob Babbit did some brilliant pentatonic stuff.

Also, "You've Got a Friend" by James Taylor. Leland Sklar played a beautiful part.

8. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    basically and RATM song. there fairly simple and are great fun to rock out to.

9. A question about the pentatonic modes;
    take the major formula for this example. I remove the 4th and 6th note from the scale, now I have a Major Pentatonic scale. To find modes, do I use the same major scale formulae (i.e. t-t-s-t-t-s- etc..) but remove the 4th and 6th tones?

thx. :)

10. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    Actually, you are removing the 4th and the 7th. the 6th remains, but in answer to your question, yes, just formulate your modes that way.
    For the minor pentatonic BTW, just remove the 2nd and the 6th.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"Chameleon" was written by Hancock,Jackson,Mason, Maupin - i.e. HeadHunters

Maynard Ferguson had nothing to do with it!!

12. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Roger Glover of Deep Purple lays down a great bass part based around the penatonic minor in this tune.

13. Maynard Ferguson Has an album named chamelion where he covers the song, i just thought id put it in there to be known.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, but why not get the original and spell it correctly!!?? ;)

15. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Stevie Wonder - I Wish
    cool pentatonic blues scale bassline.

16. Cause I cant spell. Im sorry

17. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003