1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pentatonic scales tab

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by MOR_Lio, Sep 9, 2004.

1. MOR_Lio

MOR_Lio

Sep 9, 2004
    Hi,

I am searching for the tabs of the pentatonic scales beaucause I would like to learn it, but I don't know if these exist in tabs. Please help me.

Thanks

2. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    USA
    Okay, I'm bored I'll tab it out for you - on a 4 string tuned standard: Here is A minor pentatonic

----------------------------------------
    ----------------------------5-----7---
    ----------------5-----7---------------
    --5-----8-----------------------------

A major would be:

----------------------------------------
    ----------------------------4-----7---
    ----------------4-----7---------------
    --5-----7-----------------------------

There are other ways to play these scales from different positions but these patterns are a good start.

Enjoy,

Bruce

3. MOR_Lio

MOR_Lio

Sep 9, 2004
    Ok, I'm gonna try that. Thank you very much for this.

PS: so on these there is nothing played on the G string?

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    MOR,

Those patterns are called "movable".

If you MOVE the pattern to start on the A string rather than E, then instead of A major/minor the patterns give you the D major/minor pentatonics.

Moving by fret up or down the E and A strings but keeping the fingerings the same (i.e. replace 5 7 with 4 6, 3 5 , etc.) you can then derive the major/minor pentatonic scales for all 12 keys.

After 12 frets they repeat. This is also the A minor pentatonic:

---------------------------------------
    ---------------------------17-----19---
    ----------------17----19---------------
    --17----20-----------------------------

There are many other fingerings you can use. Here's one alternative for A minor pentatonic that covers 4 strings (tip: use your pinky for fret 5):

----------------------------2----------
    -----------------2----5----------------
    --------3----5-------------------------
    --5------------------------------------

The A major pentatonic in the same position would be:

----------------------------2----------
    -----------------2----4----------------
    --------2----4-------------------------
    --5------------------------------------

It's best to get a chart showing ALL the notes on the neck, learn how the scales are constructed and work out other fingerings yourself.

Good luck.

5. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    USA
    Not in those examples. You can continue into the next octave on the G string though. As I said, there are other ways to play the scales, those are just probably the most common and easiest box patterns. You could play it all on 1 string if you want.

Think in patterns for now but learn the intervals and the fretboard as well. For example, for A minor instead of thinking in tab just start on A and use the pattern

-1---3----
    -1---3----
    -1---4----

That's a minor pentatonic. If you start on A (E string 5th fret) you will see that the above tab is in this pattern. You could start on any note on E or A and use this pattern (or B if you have 5 strings etc.) For example, start on D (A string 5th fret) and you get D minor pentatonic and you use the A,D and G strings. This pattern works from anywhere as long as the instrument is tuned in 4ths. You could also start on the D string but you will run out of strings so you have to move up the G string for the last 2 notes. Again, there are plenty of other ways to play the scale but this pattern is a good starting place. Practice it and learn the notes and intervals and where they are on the fretboard. For example, with a minor pentatonic you play the root, then move up 3 semi-tones (aka a minor 3rd or whole and a half tone), then move a whole tone, then another whole etc. The whole pattern is (where W = whole tone and W.5 = 3 semi-tones):
    W.5, W, W, W.5, W

To move a whole tone on a fretboard tuned in 4ths you can either go up 2 frets on the same string or go up one string and down 3 frets. To go up three semi-tones you can go up 3 frets on the same string or go up one string and down 2 frets. So play the root A, then go up 3 frets and play C, then go up a string and down 3 frets for D, then up 2 frets for E, then up a string and down 2 frets for G, then up 2 frets for A (the octave).

Bruce