Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pentatonic scales tab

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by MOR_Lio, Sep 9, 2004.

1. MOR_Lio

MOR_Lio

Sep 9, 2004
    Hi,

I am searching for the tabs of the pentatonic scales beaucause I would like to learn it, but I don't know if these exist in tabs. Please help me.

Thanks

2. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    USA
    Okay, I'm bored I'll tab it out for you - on a 4 string tuned standard: Here is A minor pentatonic

----------------------------------------
    ----------------------------5-----7---
    ----------------5-----7---------------
    --5-----8-----------------------------

A major would be:

----------------------------------------
    ----------------------------4-----7---
    ----------------4-----7---------------
    --5-----7-----------------------------

There are other ways to play these scales from different positions but these patterns are a good start.

Enjoy,

Bruce

3. MOR_Lio

MOR_Lio

Sep 9, 2004
    Ok, I'm gonna try that. Thank you very much for this.

PS: so on these there is nothing played on the G string?

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    MOR,

Those patterns are called "movable".

If you MOVE the pattern to start on the A string rather than E, then instead of A major/minor the patterns give you the D major/minor pentatonics.

Moving by fret up or down the E and A strings but keeping the fingerings the same (i.e. replace 5 7 with 4 6, 3 5 , etc.) you can then derive the major/minor pentatonic scales for all 12 keys.

After 12 frets they repeat. This is also the A minor pentatonic:

---------------------------------------
    ---------------------------17-----19---
    ----------------17----19---------------
    --17----20-----------------------------

There are many other fingerings you can use. Here's one alternative for A minor pentatonic that covers 4 strings (tip: use your pinky for fret 5):

----------------------------2----------
    -----------------2----5----------------
    --------3----5-------------------------
    --5------------------------------------

The A major pentatonic in the same position would be:

----------------------------2----------
    -----------------2----4----------------
    --------2----4-------------------------
    --5------------------------------------

It's best to get a chart showing ALL the notes on the neck, learn how the scales are constructed and work out other fingerings yourself.

Good luck.

5. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    USA
    Not in those examples. You can continue into the next octave on the G string though. As I said, there are other ways to play the scales, those are just probably the most common and easiest box patterns. You could play it all on 1 string if you want.

Think in patterns for now but learn the intervals and the fretboard as well. For example, for A minor instead of thinking in tab just start on A and use the pattern

-1---3----
    -1---3----
    -1---4----

That's a minor pentatonic. If you start on A (E string 5th fret) you will see that the above tab is in this pattern. You could start on any note on E or A and use this pattern (or B if you have 5 strings etc.) For example, start on D (A string 5th fret) and you get D minor pentatonic and you use the A,D and G strings. This pattern works from anywhere as long as the instrument is tuned in 4ths. You could also start on the D string but you will run out of strings so you have to move up the G string for the last 2 notes. Again, there are plenty of other ways to play the scale but this pattern is a good starting place. Practice it and learn the notes and intervals and where they are on the fretboard. For example, with a minor pentatonic you play the root, then move up 3 semi-tones (aka a minor 3rd or whole and a half tone), then move a whole tone, then another whole etc. The whole pattern is (where W = whole tone and W.5 = 3 semi-tones):
    W.5, W, W, W.5, W

To move a whole tone on a fretboard tuned in 4ths you can either go up 2 frets on the same string or go up one string and down 3 frets. To go up three semi-tones you can go up 3 frets on the same string or go up one string and down 2 frets. So play the root A, then go up 3 frets and play C, then go up a string and down 3 frets for D, then up 2 frets for E, then up a string and down 2 frets for G, then up 2 frets for A (the octave).

Bruce