1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pentatonic scales you play over basic chord sounds.

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by peri75, Sep 26, 2009.

1. peri75

peri75

Sep 26, 2009
    Athens , Greece
    Here are some i'm trying to put in my playing:
    Over Imaj7: major pentatonic starting from 5th scale degree,minor from 3rd and 6th.
    Over I-:major pent from 4th,minor from 5th
    Over V7:minor pent a minor third up from the root(whole step below target I chord)
    Over Vsus4:minor pent whole step above the root.
    Any thoughts on these?What are the ones you prefer?Thank you!

2. Asher S

Asher S

Jan 31, 2008
    MA
    Check out the Kumoi. Jimmy Haslip showed me that one once and I've had a field day playing with it for months ever since.

It's 1, 2, b3, 5, 6. e.g. C, D, Eb, G, A.

I've played with it over several types of blues progressions. It's cool because the 3rd gives it a minor flavor while the 6th gives it a major flavor.

3. mtto

mtto Supporting Member

May 25, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I use this over minor ii Vs.

1 b2 4 5 b7

For example in C minor (D min7 b5 to G7 alt to C min)

Starting a fourth above the ii chord - G Ab C D F

Starting a minor 3rd (technically an augmented second) above the V - A# B D# F Ab

I usually seem to resolve to the i chord, but you could start a major second above the i - D Eb G A C

4. peri75

peri75

Sep 26, 2009
    Athens , Greece
    Nice scales!thanx for the feedback!the g ab c d f over dm7b5 sounds also like Fm69 moving to Abm69 (Bb B eb f ab over g7 chord) which really sounds like Ab melodic minor.But I hear F dorian for the first chord.So i guess one could also play F dorian to Ab melodic minor to some sort of c tonic minor scale/arpegio.
    As for the 1 2 b3 5 6 pentatonic it's the same scale as the ones mentioned( g ab c d f is 1 2 b3 5 6 in F).So this scale is like a minor 6 pentatonic(1 b3 4 5 6) starting on the 2nd of the scale and substituting 2 for 4.Nice sound!It's also a nice little shape to remember on the bass(half-step on lower string with the fourths laying comfortably on the higher strings.)

5. George Himmel

George Himmel

May 16, 2009
    The east coast?
    Former Manager, Bass San Diego
    Ooh, trying to hit one that hasn't been mentioned yet, major pentatonic from the 2nd on any Maj7 that doesn't necessarily have to harmonically go anywhere. You hit the 3, 6/13, Maj7, 9, and #11 (tasty!). Best in upper registers; in lower support, YMMV.

6. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    When in doubt, play Amin pentatonic
    :bag:

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I wish I had a 3 second mpeg of me just shaking my head...

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    That could be arranged with any reasonably recent digital camera or cell phone, and would be much linked to in the dungeon. I dare say much mirth and jocularity would ensue. Whatsay?

9. Phew.

I'm goin' back to the Streisand thread. Now.

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Well, as independent units I comprehend the words DIGITAL, PHONE, CAMERA and CELL. But when you string them together n the fashion you have, I'm just not sure what you're getting at....

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    You keep quiet or I'm TOTALLY photoshopping your face on the crossdressing Japanese slap bass guy.

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Wayull, see, ye take one o' them faincy digital camera things, see, an ye point 'at sucker atcher haid, Fraid. An ye set it tuh "movie mode", turn it on, then ye shake yer haid backnforth fur about 3 seconds. Then ye plug in one 'o them faincy USB - which don't stand fer Ultra Sexy Backside, doncha know - cables inta yer computer, 'n ye save yer little masterpiece as an mpeg file.

Better? :)

13. peri75

peri75

Sep 26, 2009
    Athens , Greece
    Why don't you contribute in a positive manner instead?

14. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Why not do a SEARCH POST or SEARCH THREADS BY and see if you can't answer your own question?

15. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    Nah, Mr. Fuqua! You're just trying to keep for yourself that super-extra-special pentatonic that goes with ANY chord. C'mon, sing!

:bag:

16. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I don't come down here that often anymore, but I'm glad to say that Ed never fails to deliver.

:)

17. peri75

peri75

Sep 26, 2009
    Athens , Greece
    First of all,there is only scattered information on this site about pentatonic scales and their use in improvisation.So that's good enough reason to actually start a thread about this.The reason that i posted this is that i LOVE music and i want to hear what other musicians have to say on this subject.I've been playing doublebass for 15 years,have spent a lot of time studying and practising jazz,went to Berklee and now I'm in Athens,Greece which is where I come from and play doublebass professionally for the last 8 years.I'm not some kid asking about an "easy way" to play jazz.I've spent countless hours transcribing and practising lines and solos by Paul Chambers,Ray Brown and Christian McBride to name a few of my favourites.So GIVE ME A BREAK!!!If you dont want to discuss pentatonics just dont do it.But you have no right to be sarcastic towards me or post comments that have nothing to do with music.This could have been a very informative thread and you ruined it for everyone.

18. Menacewarf

Menacewarf

Mar 9, 2007
    Oregon
    I'm transcirbing a McCoy Tyner Solo that is based on a minor penatonic scale which contains chord tones, 1, 2, b3 ,4,and 5. He of course includes plenty of other tones in the solo, often in the form of leading tones and some altered color tones for ceratin resolutions.

Penatonic modes (or for that matter any set of notes with less than 7 tones) do seem to have a more ethereal (ancient?) feel. Of course they have to be played melodicly to actually hear the mode and it is not just a matter of plugging it in.

19. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Then my work here is done.

20. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Awesome. :D

These guys won't say it but Peri, I haven't been playing all that long but know that playing something honest involves more than trying to link a bunch of scale fragments together (is basically what pentatonics are). Without integrating it into your being, they come out sounding mechanical. It never works for me. I do better singing my lines in my head... if it so happens to come out as a pent... great!

Before you whine about Ed being an obstructionist, you ought to actually listen to him and dig up his threads on playing music and learning songs inside and out. He also wrote a book on walking basslines, but he won't mention it here.

Ed is right... we've been hashing this stuff for years now and it's all available through the search tool.