1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pentatonic Scales

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bassist15, Apr 12, 2006.

1. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    CAn anyone give me a list of Pentatonic scales or give me a link to a site. I tried google and couldn't really find anythign satisfying. Ive just been having some bass line writers block so I was looking for something to help and I figured i should start playing tons of scales. I read that Jaco learned alot by just practiceing Pentatonic Scales over and over . Other than that can anyone suggest any other scales iI shoudl practice. OR any other advice for my recent writers block bass line wise

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
  3. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    A bit of trivia - black keys on the piano are pentatonic, and the white keys are diatonic.

4. No. Only in certain specified keys/scales/modes. The white keys are not diatonic in the key of A major, for example. The white keys are diatonic in the key of C major or the modes that share notes with C major, but not otherwise.

5. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    to be honest that's a confusing piece of info to give to the original poster... my advice would be to ignore it

and to ignore this too: I always thought it was nifty that in a major key, the 'outside' notes were a minor pentatonic scale starting on the flattened 3rd... if you need to play a bunch of really atonal and probably inappropriate stuff just reach for those 5 :)

6. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Get a copy of The Bass Grimoire by Adam Kadmon and your scale questions will be answered for years and years to come.

7. +1 - excellent book!

8. Or a major pentatonic on the flatted 5.

9. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    And you come along and compound it. That's what I call team work.

Like I said - trivial. Just like your post ;)

10. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    The white keys are a "fixed position" C major scale, there-for diatonic.

If not diatonic, what are they then?

Chromatic?

Come on Rick, snap out of it... :rolleyes:

11. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    yeah but at least I mark my useless info before I start :D

12. Minor pentatonic = E G A B D E

Major pentatonic = G A B D E G

There ya go!:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

13. They are, as I said, diatonic in the key of C or the related modes but not otherwise. Fixed position has nothing to do with it.

Being diatonic is not an absolute quality that a series of notes possess. It is a relative quality that is possessed in relation to the tonality/modality that you're inhabiting. Diatonic means belonging to, or inside, the tonality that you're in. In other words, whether a series of notes is diatonic or chromatic is *situational*, not a matter of some inherent quality.

Thus, in the key of C, the series of notes CDEFGABC is diatonic. In the key of Gb, none of those notes, except F, are diatonic--they are all outside the key of Gb (again, except F--and I'll toss in B, as the enharmonic equivalent of Cb). I think you may be confusing diatonic with natural (as opposed to sharp or flat). Whether a given pitch is natural, sharp, or flat is an absolute quality; whether it is diatonic is situational.

14. Major Pentatonic contains the R, 2, 3, 5, and 6 degrees of the major scale

|-0-|---|-0-|---|
    |-0-|---|---|-X-|
    |-0-|---|---|-0-|
    |---|-X-|---|-0-|

Minor Pentatonic contains the R, -3, 4, 5, and -7 degrees of the minor scale.

|---|---|---|---|
    |-0-|---|-X-|---|
    |-0-|---|-0-|---|
    |-X-|---|---|-0-|

15. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA

Ahhh. Finally a post that is informative, correct, and useful. :)