Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pentax Spotmatic Asahi camera- HELP!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hateater, Apr 20, 2004.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I can't operate this damn camera, help me for the love of god!

2. INSTRUCTION MANUALS ARE INCLUDED FOR A REASON.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    he got it off ebay

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    try to look up the website. they often have manuals there. Or, you can google it. Or check google groups for help as well.

5. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Wow mister capslock, chill out!

6. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Yeah, I tried all of that already. The only manual I could find cost money. I was hoping someone would own one.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    that might be it

8. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
  9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you can tell me exactly what you need to know, I can help you.

A Spotmatic is pretty old..they were made from 1964 to about 1972. There was also a Spotmatic II made from about 1972 to 1976. I can talk you though most of the operations of the camera.

Email me.

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    ... and I had SP500 and SP1000 models, if that's what you have.

11. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I have the spotmatic II. A friend of mine went over the basics of the camera with me today, but there are a few buttons that I am unsure about...

12. rwagne2

rwagne2

Aug 2, 2001
    The spotmatic operates the same as pretty much all cameras of that era, and mastering the operation of the shutter and aperture can be applied to using any camera. The only 'funny' thing about the spotmatic is activating the lightmeter stops down the aperture. most other cameras with lightmeters will keep the aperture open while metering, so that you keep a bright image in the finder.

The spotmatic also uses a mercury battery that is now outlawed in the united states. the original mercury batteries lasted for years, but the current replacement - a wein cell - only lasts a few months at best - and is only accurate for a small part of that time.

I would suggest using a seperate lightmeter - if you become serious about picture taking you will definately find one useful.

kudos for going the 'classic camera' route.

13. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    You are right on the money about that battery. I went to Radioshack and they looked at me like I brought in a piece of the moon. They said that they had never seen a battery like that before. I then went to a camera shop that had a zinc battery to replace it that lasts (just as you said) for about 3 months.

I took some pictures just now, and I plan on using up this 'test roll' before my trips to santa rosa, san fran and yosemite.

14. rwagne2

rwagne2

Aug 2, 2001
    do you know if the lightmeter works? with the new battery, turn on the meter (engage by sliding the black switch on the barrell of the camera by the lens mount) if the needle inside the viewfinder responds SMOOTHLY to changes in light level, then there is a good chance that the meter operates and is accurate.

If the meter is not accurate - you can still take accurate pictures on a sunny day. There is something called the 'sunny 16' rule. for a scene lit by direct sunlight, proper exposure is made with an apeture of f16, and a shutter speed which is approximately the inverse of the film speed.

Say you are shooting ISO 200 film. the closest shutter speed is 1/250, so set the camera to 250 and f16. This will give the best exposure in a sun-lit scene.

15. My first SLR was Pentax Spotmatic. While not the highest quality, it is an extemely well built camera that is essentially a tank. I used it for 15 years and it got me through art school. I still have some of the accessories.

Many of these cameras made it to the states with GI's returning from SE Asia during the time period mentioned.

If you're interested in a perfect condition macro bellows kit, let me know.

16. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Thanks for the info! My lightmeter slides very smoothly. I am shooting a test roll of film right now, and I will see what my pictures look like.

Not sure what a Macro Bellows kit is, but I am interested! :D

What exactly is it, and how much do you want to sell it for?

17. A macro-bellows is essentially an adjustable extension for the lens and body. It's a precision rail system with a body mount on one end for the camera and a lens mount on the other end (Pentax K mount) and a collapsible bellows in between. Put a simple 50mm lens on the end and you can photograph VERY small things like water drops, bugs, or anything small. Put a real macro lens on the end and you can photograph objects as small as the dye grain dots in a 35mm color slide!! The entire assembly mounts on a stand or tripod and has a precision scale to duplicate setup and a dual remote shutter release to activate the body and lens at the same time.

There's an entire universe in things small that we don't get to see.

18. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    What is your asking price?