Penthouse Floor effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Caleb Mills, Dec 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. This is porbbaly gonna be a one-off answer, but can anyone tell me what effect or effects the bassist is using for the hook of Penthouse Floor by John Legend?

2. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    The bass player is probably Kaveh Rastagar, he's probably playing a p bass with a pick. With everything that's going on in the mix it's hard to tell but it sounds to me like some sort of mellow envelope filter for most of the song, but there are points where it sounds like there is no effect on the bass at all.

Caleb Mills likes this.
  3. Cool. Yeah, in the live version on Jimmy Fallon the bassist from the Roots was playing it and the guitar and the bass were playing the same groove. So it was a little hard to tell if it was the guitar with the effect or the bass. But on the album version it sounds more like the bass has the effect. I'll check out some envelope filters!

Marial likes this.
  4. Evanforbass

Evanforbass

Feb 3, 2016
    Denver, CO
    i think pino actually tracked this. here's him live

5. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Hmm. At 2:18 you can see there are actually two bassists. One effected and one clean?

6. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    I’m sure you’ve figured it out by now, but I thought I’d comment what I’m doing.

Big fan of this album, going thru learning it now.

Anyway, I’m using a P bass, flats (3 yr old Dunlop’s) tone all the way down, Light drive (SGFX Beta) and a Phase 90 set sloooooww.

Evanforbass likes this.
  7. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Wendy Melvoin, Pino Palladino, Blake Mills, Sebastian Steinberg are all credited as having played bass on the album. The one standing next to pino is Kaveh Rastegar, I think...isn't it?

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Excellent backing vocalists there!

smeet likes this.
  9. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Looking thru the individual track credits, both Pino and Wendy Melvoin are credited with bass on this track.

The rest if anyone’s interested:
    Blake Mills on tracks 1 & 12
    Pino on tracks 3, 4, 6, 7, 9 & 10
    John Ryan on track 5
    Sebastian Steinberg on track 8
    No bass on track 11

cnltb likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021