Pentium 4?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by dave64o, Feb 28, 2001.

1. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Has anyone made the switch to a Pentium 4 for recording yet?

I just ordered one and have recently seen a lot of articles that make me think I jumped the gun and should have gotten another P3 (the one I'm using now is really my son's). I searched this forum and didn't see anything about the P4's so I'd love to hear from anyone who either tried it or has something to offer.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I haven't bought a PIV yet for exactly the same reasons...
    The thing is: The new features can only be utilized by apps that a written with the P4s new commands in mind - and those are still to come...
    And right now the P3 and AMDs Thunderbird are running todays(!) software faster at the same clock speed. This might change in a year, though...but who knows what AMD has to offer then...

As a rule of thumb: be careful about buying a CPU right after market introduction...too expensive, and the manufacturer benchmarks haven't yet been verified in real-life applications...
  3. I think that AMD (Advanced Micro Devices, I think it stands for, can´t remember) has completely caught up to Intel...

but of course when doing stuff like recording I´d rather have a 1000 mhz with 512MB RAM than 1400 mhz with 128-256MB RAM... :)

but you probably know that RAM´s are important, right? ;)

anyways, I´m still just using my old P3 450 mhz with 128MB... :( :p
  4. the AMD is a fine chip for home users and corparations were the users will be doing alot of word processing, but most high end software like music recording and graphics are still programed with the Intel chip in mind. unless that changes AMD will still be under Intel by a small percent.
    i hate to say it but that is also why alot of graphic art places and music studio use Macs
  5. I_Dream_Of_Bass

Feb 8, 2001
    I do a fair amount of work with computers and I would have to agree that for anything that utilizes a fair amount of processing power, go with Intel. I have found that my computers seem to work better and for a longer period of time using Intel CPU's. I would also recommend getting a high-end P3 and spend the money that you are saving on more memory(RAM), better hard-drives(Ultra ATA-100), a really good sound card, and the biggest monitor that you can afford(trust me on this one!!) If you buy one of the P4's, be prepared to watch it depreciate in value faster than a new car. There's nothing worse than buying a new P4-1.5GHz CPU for $700, now and having it drop 40% in price by the end of May. I may be wrong, but I believe that the P4's use RAMBUS memory chips which are a lot more expensive than the usual DIMM memory chips.
  6. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Well I ended up making a switch. I called Dell to get a refusal number, gave it to RPS when they showed up, and they just returned the P4 without even bringing it into the house.

I got back online and ordered a 1 GHz Pentium 3 and was able to get double the memory (512 MB) for about the same price as the P4.

Just for kicks yesterday I called them to see what it would cost to upgrade to Windows 2000 from Window ME. The Home Sales dept. couldn't do that (W2K) so they transferred my call to their Business Sales dept. I found out that the promos on the Business side were even better. I got a free double-your memory upgrade (512 MB for the price of 256 MB), free shipping, and they still gave me the $50 for online ordering since that's how I started my order. I was also able to get a better video card and STILL spent less than the P3 Windows ME system would have cost.

Way to go Dell. I cancelled two orders and talked through a lot of options with their online sales staff and they were great through it all. This is the fourth PC I've bought from them and each experience has been a good one.
  7. You probably went with the best deal considering you have all that RAM to work with and usually the 1st batch of new technology can sometimes be troublesome and it's like everyone else said the programs have not be programed with that in mind so you most likely won't notice the difference.

I'm not sure but don't most commercial computers use RISC processors to run their music applications like Pro Tools because they run a lot quicker than INTEL, it's just something I was told and it's pretty irrelevent because they cost so much but if anyone knows I'd be interested.
  8. dave64o

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    The lack of applications written for the P4s didn't bother too much because I figured they'll come along eventualy (maybe?). What really scared me off was what I had been reading about RDRAM and also about Rambus themselves. Right now Dell is only shipping P4s with RDRAM, but that may change in the next few months. They're apparently breaking an agreement with Rambus to do that and that alone kind of scared me off.

I couldn't tell you what the commercial stusios use. My "studio" is currently a corner of our dining room. I keep bringing up more of my gear until my wife can't take it anymore and I carry it all back down to the basement again. We repeat this cycle every two weeks or so. She decided that she wanted her dining room back, so it was worth the money buying the second PC and putting it in the basement so I can just leave all my gear set up.