Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pentonic Blues Scale in Am.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bluez Dawg, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Hi Derek!

Good effort on your part.

Personally, I would do a couple of things and then repost the results.

First - Play the scale until you could play it smoothly with no changes in tempo.

Second - I would work on your plucking hand a bit so that the notes that you play have about the same intensity/volume.

Also, is this the scale? If so, you may have had a goober in there at the end.

||-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
    ||-|-|-|-|*|-|T|-|-
    ||-|-|-|-|*|*|*|-|-
    ||-|-|-|-|T|-|-|*|-

At this point I wouldn't worry about getting anything perfect but close to perfect is good!

:D

Joe.

2. This is how my teacher tought me how to play this scale in A minor, and its the pentonic blues scale, I do appreciate the advice you give me though, And does it sound like their is a beat though?

3. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I can't work out if it's supposed to be in Bb or B..

the first two notes are Bb C# then it goes into B pent blues.. then back to C# and Bb at the end there..

check your root positions and watch out you keep the to the chart LowToneJoe posted... watch out when your crossing strings you don't shift positions!

keep at it man!

4. Dang it I shifted my index finger again? And I think you're right Bb Dang, not bad for learning it in a week right?

5. next time I make a recording, I was going to use a nut on my pinky finger, see how that sounds.

6. can you guys anser the question I have? if not its cool too

7. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    Man, you are some piece of work, Derek ;) . It sounds like there might be a beat there for a little while but not quite from the beginning. Maybe you could try recording it again and start it off really confidently this time? You would have had some more time to practise too. Let's hear it!

8. what do you mean Middlebit, this line you said ""start it off really confidently this time?""?

9. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    Well, I'm probably mistaken, but I just took the way you play that scale (which is not the Aminor pentatonic) out of time as a sign that you might need a wee bit more practising. And since you asked me:"does it sound like their is a beat though?", you sounded a bit unsure yourself - especially since I could not hear any steady pulse in there. But maybe you are playing an 'altered Aminor pentatonic scale' in an odd time signature.In that case - my mistake!

10. Ok Thank you for telling me what that means, and yes its a blues scale I accently sifted postion, and thats why I asked if their was a beat? Yeah I been practing really hard ever sense last saturday, like I said it was only a week I learned this scale, and I have learned a standard blues riff from this scale now.

Thank you for being honest.

11. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    You're welcome, Derek.
    Also, I'd advise against that nut on the pinky finger - it's got a negative ring to it.