People can be great sometimes

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BartmanPDX, Dec 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Sometimes it's depressing watching the news and one can lose faith in humanity.

But other times, people get together and do incredible things. This is one of those times.

Many months back, my daughter was having a rough time with seizures. I posted an angry rant about it, saying I wanted a fuzz pedal that gave voice to my frustrations in watching her suffer. I wanted it to sound like I felt, and have a particular phrase boldly printed on the front. Along came a great guy, @Azure Skies , who turned that pedal dream into reality:

IMG_3107_zpsdstg9yoo.jpg

That was SUPER cool in and of itself, and I thought that was the end of it, but it turned out to be just the beginning.

Without any prompting or anything from me, all of a sudden people came out of the woodwork, and they wanted to help. They created a plan to commission and donate some pedals to an auction to raise money for the organization that funds research into the kind of epilepsy my daughter has. Over the next few weeks and months they managed to pull it off, and together we raised over $1600 for the PCDH19 Alliance. :hyper:

I wanted to publicly thank @DirtyDuke , @nshuman , @Mosfed , @Azure Skies , and @bongomania for being such incredibly awesome people in donating the pedals and their time and efforts to the auction. I'd also like to thank all the people who bid on the items, in particular @Matt Morgan who I think bought a pedal he didn't even need just to help out. I think it's in the classifieds now and he wants to donate the proceeds to the Alliance as well! Also @blindrabbit who chipped in a Fifth Gear.

As if that weren't enough, they are all talking about perhaps making this an annual event for Epilepsy Awareness Month in November. I am truly blessed to have come to meet such incredible people. :thumbsup:

Anyway, I just didn't want this fantastic endeavor to get lost in all the ugliness going on in the world. Sometimes people can do some beautiful things and we should take note of it.

[​IMG]

A huge thanks to the entire Talkbass community for making this happen. It may be the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me, because it was for my daughter and the other kids. And other than @bongomania (who is every bit as awesome in person as he is online!) I've never had the privilege of meeting any of them, though I will certainly take them out for beers should they ever find themselves in Portland! :bassist:

2. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    You are welcome. It was my pleasure to help

Next year will be huge.

3. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    It was a great cause, glad to be part of it. Let's make it much greater next year!

4. Helping out great people like yourself and a great cause is a pretty easy thing to do. I'm with @DirtyDuke, look out for November 2016 because this year was just the warmup! ;)

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Stuff like this is why I stick around here, long after I gave up music and the bass guitar.

Great move by all involved. Your kindness and generosity is touching.

-Mike

Tbone76, pacojas, GregC and 4 others like this.
  6. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Bart, this is so cool. More proof that there are a lot of great people on here. I don't normally do much in the way of pedals, but I will participate next year if I can. Best wishes to you and your family.

BartmanPDX, pacojas and blindrabbit like this.
  7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    BIG RESPECT TO JOSH @Azure Skies!
    BIG RESPECT TO THE "BREEDER POSSÈ"!
    BIGGER RESPECT @BartmanPDX & his beautiful daughter!

live long, guys :thumbsup:

8. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    To paraphrase Fred Rodgers: When you feel like the world is going to poop, look for the helpers. They're legion, and they're everywhere.

pacojas, BartmanPDX and blindrabbit like this.
  9. buzzbass

buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    great story and what a great picture. 2 best buddies, just as it should be

pacojas, blindrabbit and BartmanPDX like this.
  10. Wonderful stuff. Way to be awesome, everyone involved!

pacojas and blindrabbit like this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021