Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

People disrespecting Sam Rivers

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Lowend4s, Jan 2, 2001.

1. Lowend4s

Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    I have seen alot of people on this board saying things like "Oh the guy from limp bizkit is horrible" I am guessing these people havent ever put a bizkit cd in and listen to the bassline. Wanna hear some good bass? D/L stuck, counterfeit, sour, stinkfinger,rearranged, and many other bizkit songs. Its not Jaco, but it flows nicely and keeps the song going. Thank you. What do you think?

Later

2. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000
    Alright, I don't want to be offensive or anything, but I will prejudge you for a second. I suppose the reason you think those are great lines is cause you can HEAR them because they are doing something other than copying guitar?

As well, all the songs excluding Re-Arranged are all on their first CD (which I own, and think it is very good. It's really original and has a good degree of Black Flag punk rock to it.Listen to the 1st, then the latest one. That my friends, is what we refer to as selling out.)
    But, none the less, most of the songs mentioned have decent basslines. About 5 out of 40 or so songs?

Summary: From my point of view, he isn't horrible, but he's not exactly great either.

3. Lowend4s

Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    yeah

Thats what im saying, he isnt horrible. But he isnt the best.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Rivers does okay, I can't understand why people are clanking down on him, just as much as I can't understand how anyone actually buys Limp Bizkit's music... ;)

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well...I've been looking at this board for over 2 years and I've never heard anybody say (write?) "whatsisname" is "horrible" - not even once!

Can you point to a particular post, or is this just a case of gross exaggeration? But anyway - why get on the case for somebody you think is mediocre anyway? When there are hundreds of great,imaginative players out there why get hung up about somebody who you think isn't that good?

I could name about 50 great Jazz bass players who don't get anything like the recognition they deserve, but as far as I can see, Limp whatever, get masses of recognition and favourable coverage in the press - they don't need any more! :rolleyes:

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    FWIW-
    ...I just ordered the Sam Rivers Complete '60s Blue Note sessions from Mosaic Records.

(BTW, there's a letter of DISSension in this month's BASS PLAYER mag 'bout Mr. Rivers).

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Sam Rivers? Play bass? I'm with JimK, he's a sax player, lives here in Orlando, plays around town a good bit too....

8. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah, but I don't remember anybody round here being that bothered either way.....lots of Korn baiting, but I haven't seen any heated topics on this.

9. I'm sure Sam is crying all the way to the bank.I don't care for Mr. Durst,but at least Sammie isn't working a day job.He has the best of both worlds,he's getting paid mucho to do something he loves,you can't fault him for that!!!I know that's the ultimate goal for many musicians.I would hope if I made it big people would be happy for me as well.

10. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    I agree with Mr. Lindfield, Limp Bizkit recieves tons of publicity on MTV, the radio, etc., and has tons of fans. It's not that he is horrible, I don't think anyone ever really said that, it's just that he gest more recognition as a musician than some people (myself included) think he deserves. I will go ahead and end this post before I get myself started on Wes Borland.

11. Lowend4s

Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    all I'm trying to say it that Sam Rivers is not all that bad at bass.

Goodbye

12. Wes Borland, talk about a set of eyes.
    I have always been a big Alice Cooper and David Bowie fan, i hate to think that they are the start of that kind of stuff.

13. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000

Speaking of starting stuff...anyone ever really considered that it was Kurt Cobain who made it COOL TO SUCK? Look around now at the big rock star world, a large portion of players are pretty lame with their respective instruments technically and can't exactly get too much out of them due to this lack of technical ability. I'm sure they are laughing their way to the bank...damn corporate executives......

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I thought "Cool To Suck" was the '70s Punk Movement's anthem(see, Cobain wasn't even *that* original). ;)

At a different site, I'm engaged in a thread about "The '60s Free Jazzers INFLUENCING the Punk Movement". I dunno, I never really made that connection(& I don't really hear it...do you?).

15. Bruce Lindfield

Well... Punk in England was as much a political thing as musical; although it was very much a reaction to 20-minutes guitar and drum solos and a move back to snappy 3-minute songs. I did know people in Punk bands and they had defintely never heard 60s free jazz, but were rather looking back to Iggy & the Stooges and the Velvet Underground as role models.

But as I say the musical thing was about short fast songs with no solos and the political thinsg was about the attitude - anti-royalty (most of us were pretty sick with the fawning attitude to things like the Queen's Jubilee)and anti Margaret Thatcher and a Conservative government that was eroding ordinary people's rights, while at the same time doing nothing about issues like racism.

Punks were left-wing, reacting against the extreme right-wing nature of the government at the time and actually succeeding in direct action with bands like the Clash spearheading the "Rock against Racism" movement and the Punk "attitude" eventually leading to "Poll Tax" riots which brought down the government and lead to a change in this tax.

The "cool to suck" thing was a big part of bands like the Sex Pistols amongst others in '76/'77 - Sid Vicious exemplifies this particularly - but later bands kept the punk ethic and political attitude, but did apply musical skill and songwriting ability to maintain the movement.

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bruce-
    ...those folks @Jazz Corner are mentioning Iggy Pop & the MC5 as the ones who actually listened to '60s Free Jazz(according to some posters, some of those very early Punk bands covered tunes by Sun Ra, etc).
    Another guy mentioned The Ramones as being instrumental in influencing English Punk bands; is that correct?

Again, I don't hear it; Punk(IMO) was about anti-technique, anti-solo, anti-MUSICIAN, blah. The Free Jazzers were NOT about any of those(IMO).

17. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I think Bruce hit the nail on the head when he said that punk in the UK was more about the 'statement' than the music - there were punk bands that could play, and even funk bands with a punk attitude, as well as corporate punk bands, just as there are now - I don't think that Blink 182, Green Day or Offspring really share much ideological ground with The Clash, Black Flag, Big Black, Husker Du, Gen X, 999, The Exploited etc...

...I always thought that Motorhead were more punk than most punk...

18. i'd prefer rivers over fieldy any day

same music style. better bassist.

19. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000
    Yes, you are right about the 70's punk rock thing. But still, bands like Black Flag and The Clash were still just as much about music as there political ideals, that music was INTENSE.

No comments about Free Jazzers influencing Punk, but I do know that Iggy Pop loved blues and he wanted to be a blues singer. Unfortunatly.....

20. Bruce Lindfield

Hmmmm...I don't know much about the MC5 and early Stooges as this was "before my time" - I just remember early Punk bands citing them as musical influences - the Ramones were indeed another commonly cited influence.

It was a strange time - one week I was listening to prog-rock and the next I was off to college where Punk had taken over and I was "converted"! ;) As a bass player, it was certainly easier to get up and play in punk bands, than trying to cover the lates 20 minute Genesis/Yes magnum opus! So I was won over by the energy and excitement of the Punk movement - also as a confirmed left-wing idealist, it was almost compulsory to support these bands and go on student demonstrations that were anti-government and as I mentioned Rock against Racism events where the Clash usually topped the bill. Certainly nobody in late 70s Britain mentioned Free Jazz as an influence!! ;)