1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

People have too much time on their hands...load in is 5 hours before gig time lol

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by glocke1, May 23, 2019.

1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Gig tomorrow that was booked months ago..we hit at ten. Theres an opening act but I figured their bassist would use his own amp (sort of made that clear to the B/L before, if he books openers Im not showing up hours early so their guy can use my rig..simply too much down time for me). I thought I'd be showing up at around eight or so to load my crap in.

Just got an email that the house sound guy wants us to load in at 5:30 and sound check us (the main act) first which means the opening bass guy will be using my rig. Guess I'll be leaving some of the nice pieces of gear at home. :rollno:

I love playing..but man I sure don't love this part of it. Who the hell has time to load in almost 5 hours before a gig and than sit around to wait to play.

I know some people eat the entire lifestyle part of music up, the hang/downtime part included but it's a tremendous waste of time for me.

fretter, mmbass21, kjp360 and 33 others like this.
  2. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    I've done that schedule a handful of times in all my years and, I'm with you, it is no fun. I've got sleeping bags and pillows in the back of my carpeted / camper shell truck. I sleep when I can, walk around and look at new things but killing five hours is tough.

grinx and jsxtal like this.
  3. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Been there, done that. Setup and soundcheck 7 hours before downbeat. Never again... I feel your pain.

Rezdog, grinx, Aqualung60 and 3 others like this.
  4. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Wouldn't be my first choice, but it's probably a nicer gig. Many nicer places want load in and sound check done before customers arrive.

Maybe you can work it out with your mates to rotate who has to stick around and watch the gear so you can all go home for a bit or least somewhere else. Assuming you get done quickly, 3-4 hours to kill in a bar is just asking me to drink - a lot - and I don't do that at gigs and there's nothing worse than being sober in a room full of drunks. If the place isn't open yet, you can go do other stuff for a few hours.

Just because your amp is there, does that mean someone else gets to use it? I'd probably have issues with that if I didn't know the person.

5. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    drinking part: same here...Thats why I've also explained to the B/L why I won't show up early. Quite simply...I get bored. If there is booze/weed, even though I am "on the wagon" if there is enough of it floating around Im bound to give into my weakness and partake.

AS for the rest, bar is located roughly 90 minutes (at best) from me. that means I'd be leaving my house at about 3:30 pm for a ten pm gig.

B/L has good intentions and means well..but it's crap like this that makes me think Im really not a good fit for this band. The hang/scene/downtime is just as important to them as the playing part, and for me it's really all about the playing (and yes, I realize some of that other stuff goes along with this).

I suspect the other bass player will need to use my amp. House sound guy asked to sound check us first. Which means my amp will be the one on stage. Its something I have an issue with, but Im not sure I can do anything about it if we are getting sound checked first.

redwingxix likes this.
  6. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

The headliners will usually get sound-checked first, while the opening acts will get a few minutes usually after setup IME. They will essentially be the ones the soundguys sacrifices to iron out any sonic kinks and that will probably benefit you. That said, stuff like this shouldn’t take 5 hours either. It all depends on the pay and frequency of this type of thing. Do you consider your compensation fair for the additional 5 hours you’ll be putting in? If the answer is no, and since the “hang” is of little interest to you, it’s probably best to move on.

pjbassist, jsxtal, DJ Bebop and 3 others like this.
  7. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    Depending upon the type of gig, I concur.

DJ Bebop, smogg and Ross W. Lovell like this.
  8. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    They could be 'backlining', which is where the band that goes on last is set up and sound checked first, then the band going on before them sets up their gear in front of the gear for that band.

You always get to choose who uses your gear. If you don't want them to use it, don't let them. If you haven't agreed to it beforehand you aren't obligated to anything.

A 5 hour pre-load is ridiculous. In your shoes I'd suffer through this one and then refuse to work this venue again without a minimum $100 extra for wasting my time.

mmbass21, Rabidhamster, ak56 and 11 others like this.
  9. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

So, you mean not only do I get to load in early but I get to loan out my equipment to a stranger?

How lucky can you get?

Seriously, if loading early wasn't part of the original agreement, tell them you can't do it and go at a regular time.

Meanwhile, someone I don't know, going to use MY equipment, maybe? If a deposit was forthcoming from the bassist, which would be returned barring any issues.

Seen too many knob twiddlers have an issue then say the equipment was at fault

fretter, Aqualung60 and DJ Bebop like this.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    For an $8,000 wedding gig? You bet. Heck, I'll get there at 7 a.m.

For a hard gig? I would simply refuse. If the BL insisted (after I had already warned him like you did) I would offer the rest of the band my B or C rig to set up and tell them to have fun. I'll be there around 9.

Honestly, that's what YOU should do.

11. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    What sucks is when you go on at 10, load in is at 5, and soundcheck is at 9:30. What the crap, man? What. The. Crap.

12. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    F-that. A couple hours early is more than enough. This is were I bring my DI and that's it. Show up an hour or so early. Opening band is free to use it too...….Obviously the FOH has monitors. If you have your DI set to known good parameters, (BDDI, Tone Hammer or similar) should take the sound guy less than 30 seconds to dial it in.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Aqualung60, Das Jugghead and DJ Bebop like this.
  13. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Guess I should ask what the pay scale is for this gig? Bar gig, festival, wedding? Cover or Original band? That would make a difference as well. Still 5 hours is way to early unless I'm opening for a major headliner...….

DJ Bebop likes this.
  14. WOT

15. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    Ahh, the 5 hour wait. This was a new thing to me with my last band. I'd get texts from the BL - we go on at 11, be there ready for soundcheck at 6.

I drink beer. I don't drink beer when I'm: 1. Driving, or 2. Playing out. This scenario worked perfectly for the BL and the drummer though, as they would proceed to chug beer for 5 hours before getting up on stage and trainwrecking Fulsom Prison Blues, which is something I didn't think was really possible up to that point. I'm not going to search the clip, but the last gig I played, we're heading to the end, and you can literally see me going into panic mode on stage as I desperately try and make eye contact to no avail. Funny stuff now that I left. BL's a cop, drummer is a firefighter and the lead guitar is a manager of a GC. I have to say, I did NOT expect that to be a worthless drunk band. Actually, the BL never paid me, so I guess it's not all that funny. :meh:

16. mikew31

mikew31 Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Superior, WI
    You absolutely can do something about it. You are under no obligation to let anyone else use your gear. Doesn't matter who plays first or who soundchecks first. Luckily, you get to stake your claim for space for your rig and the other guys has to work around you:thumbsup:

A couple of weeks ago I played a gig with 3 bands in a row and we were first. Our bandleader was contacted to see if the other bands could just use my rig. I politely declined. I had my gear removed within 5 minutes of the last note. Plenty of time for the next guy to set up:)

five7, davidprice, Plectrum72 and 7 others like this.
  17. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Bingo. This time, it's potentially your rig and five hours of your uncompensated time. Next time, the "ask" will only get bigger.
    Assume nothing. Take @mikew31's advice. But as noted previously by @cableguy this is also a terrific reason to have a great DI in your bag of tricks.

18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

This isn’t rocket science.

For good reasons, bad reasons, or even no reason at all, the client or venue calls the shots.

If you don’t like it, seek an explanation and optionally try to negotiate an accommodation.

If that goes nowhere, your options are to decline to play the gig -or- accept it.

I can think of several reasons (depending on the gig) why the powers that be might want you set up at a certain time. Best bet might be for the OP to ask the question: “Why so early?”

mrcbass, LBS-bass, EMoneySC2 and 2 others like this.
  19. You know who plays thru my rig? Me. Period. You know who plays my instruments? Me...& my sneaky son :D

Waiting around sucks, but a 5-hour wait? Not for some local gig, no way. A big corporate gig, or something where each member is getting $750-$1,000 apiece, sure thing!

20. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    Been there, done that- ONCE. Never again. There is only so much time you can kill going to the local Walmart.