People in FL are calling to say their internet is down

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fr0me0, Oct 29, 2005.

1. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I'm a student but I do tech support on the side for Comcast ISP. today my first 4 calls have been form people in FL saying there internet is down. They seem kind of suprised that it would be hurricane related. One person accused me of being to lazy to do my job and just blaming it on that cause I didn't want to help them. Am I the only person that wouldn't be suprised if my internet service was intterupted by a hurricane?
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Are they without cable TV too? If they have cable TV restored it would make sense the servers on your end would be online waiting for them to get connectivity.

Canadian Comcast call center huh? I've delt with a few of your Customer Service / Script readers... :rolleyes:

I hope I haven't been too hard on you personally... but I make my living as a tech myself (T1, T3, DS3 stuuf these days), I've had some flat out ridiculous requests from Comcast when trying to troubleshoot my first & second fried modem and my failed HBO trap at the pole.

BTW: I don't watch TV, haven't in a decade yet I get charged for basic cable over top of my internet fee... when the HBO trap failed, I was given a 3 week ETA on repair. I have a friend that works sales at the local office, on his request I plugged my modem line into my TV and had all snow. I then called to say I had all snow on my beloved TV and they had a tech to me the next day to fix it :rollno:
  3. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    actually its really common to have tv service and no internet. I'd say about 90% of the calls the internet is down and TV is working fine. UNless you have digital cable the signal could be way out and basic TV will work fine.

Comcasts is a pretty assinie company though i'll give you that.
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    really? Like I said, I don't use the TV service at all... but I know my in-laws are 11 blocks away and always have related outages. Eiter both work or both don't. I can see how they could be independant though... with our T1 customers, it's common to just loose data or just loose voice.
  5. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    It makes perfect sense for people to be suprised thatthey don't have internet after a hurricane. The world is full of idiots and Florida has more of it's fair share,....LOL
  6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The internet is never down. It's their connection to it that is.
  7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i'm surprised my internet in my apartment is down.

no one else i know in town (besides people in my building) have had any problems.

in fact, i'm using a computer in my apartment's "computer room."

tv in my apartment works just fine.

so... i don't think it's unreasonable to be rather p'd off about this, especially since i wanted to start applying for summer research this weekend. :mad:

and i sign up for spring classes on wednesday (although i can just as easily do that here as i could in my room).
  8. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    My cable internet connection has gone down one time since I started using it eight years ago. It lasted for about three hours.

10. Yup!!!!!

Hey on another note it only took me 2 hours to get gas this morning!!!! I was so happy, I got out of bed at 5 am and sat in line for 2 felt like xmas.
  11. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO

Yeah? What're ya'll paying down there anyways?

12. Radio Kaos 64

Radio Kaos 64

Oct 15, 2003
    I'm in Sarasota, an I just filled up 3.29 last night. Prices have SHOT down at certain stops.
  13. retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    well a friend of mine who lives in leigh acers has lost all power, including internet for maybe 3 or 4 days or something, be shes up and running :) she called me to let me know she was still alive.. lol
  14. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i'm hoping that the internet will be restored to my room tomorrow.

and i sincerely doubt that my own situation is related to the hurricanes, since buildings only a few dozen or so feet away haven't had any problems.