Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

people make fun of me :(

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    i play HARD with a pick, and for me to do that best i have to have my horizontal, pointing up at a slight angle. i play with my bass strung at stomach/waist level. and my FRIENDS MAKE FUN OF ME :( they say its the dorkiest looking strung instrument ever. well i'm sorry if i can't look like the other local bass players my age, with my neck pointed at my JUGULAR and the body of my bass ransacking my testicles. grrrr

2. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Learn to play well, that will shut them up.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    ok, so what.

it's about music buddy, not looks.

4. bass_is_for_me

bass_is_for_me

Jan 1, 2003
    Omaha,NE
    I use to try to be "cool" and listen to all the "cool" music etc... But then I realized how shallow and unfulfilling that was. Sure I lost many of my "cool friends" but I developed 2 great relationships. The first band I was in was not to make music or even play music it was to "rock and make it famous"(Quote by me in 8th grade). At the end of 8th grade my Father gave me Bob Marley's greatest hits. That summer my musical tastes exploded."Dude, You have some great new Cds but why Bob Dylan ... Beatles... and all the other old out of date music you have ? " "How can you stand old rock, or funk, or even ska? "(Quotes from the "cool" guitar player in my first band)

Anyway play however you want and enjoy what you play:bassist:!

5. If there really that concerned over how you look while playing the bass, I think you need to find a new band.
    If they care so much about where you hold your bass, they really don't care for the music as much as they do about looks. Im in a heavy metal band and I wear my bass pretty high up (not a single part of the bass touches my crotch)and I never get crap for it because my fellow band members dont care what I look like as long as I produce good music. So if they are still giving you crap after a few weeks just say "f**k this, Im gonna go find a real band that accepts my style and actually makes good music."

6. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Of course they laugh at you and make fun of the way you talk. LOOK AT YOU! :p

7. Chris Squire's one of the dorkiest-looking guys ever--bass at his chin, playing with a pick--and he still has amazing stage presence. Admittedly, it's not hard given that Yes is the World's Fugliest Band, but still.

Don't sweat it.

8. It sucks being made fun of, but after awhile you learn to say, "f**k it and f**k you and the horse you rode in on". Confidence and experience are your best defense against the folks who never have anything positive to contribute. Be your own person and let all the sheeple wallow in mediocrity.

9. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Which one is considered "cooler" these days. I'm genuinely curious.

This guy?
    [​IMG]

Or this guy?
    [​IMG]

10. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've no idea (who are they?) - but judging by the pictures...

...neither! :D

11. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    From his original description I would guess the first guy....

he says...
    "well i'm sorry if i can't look like the other local bass players my age, with my neck pointed at my JUGULAR and the body of my bass ransacking my testicles. grrrr"

Sounds like number one to me....

12. My guess... Reginald Fieldy KoRn and Pinkie Mark Hoppus.... :confused:

13. People make fun of you?

Sorry, man. Just remember, they can bite you.

Play the bass, play it well, and to hell with political correctness whether it be "how you hold your bass" or anything for that matter.

:bassist: :D :cool:

14. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Its about being an individual not a clone. I find that most of the time when people make fun of you its because of an inferiority complex.

15. PollyBass, you and I are agreeing again...WHATS THIS WORLD COMING TO? :p

16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    For ONCE huh?;)

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You're wrong, they're right.

Play like they want you to.

Also, wear the same clothes as them.

And buy the same car.

And get the same job.

Also, follow the same career/higher education path (or lack thereof).

They are right. You are wrong.

It's all about looking cool.

18. No, I think think this is time #2.:eek:

19. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

You can afford to say that because you are just so damn sexy.