1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

People of Craigslist: It's not worth THAT much

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by capnjagg, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Do you ever browse CL and click on a listing, and realize the person has no idea what they have and is selling it for way more than it's worth? You want so desperately to tell them what it's really worth, but you also don't want to be that guy (or girl).

It also works the other way too. A person is selling something for way less than it's worth, and you want to tell them so they don't get ripped off.

I'm sure there have been threads about this before, but here's another. Share your stories/experiences.

Just today, I was browsing, and somebody was selling (or trying to at least) a Peavey Milestone II P-bass (which they listed as a jazz) with a Hartke 20w combo for $600. Eek.

ImNotJoel likes this.
  2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I used to post an ad pointing out their ludicrousness, but then I realized that was pretty stupid. I have occasionally emailed someone to tell them they were ripping themselves off, when they obviously didn't know what they have. As far as people selling overpriced crap on CL though, I just let it go. If someone is too stupid to research an item before they buy it off a complete stranger on CL, there really isn't anything I can do to help them. lol

3. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    I see them every day... Someone's got an Epiphone T-Bird up on Kijiji here for $100 more than retail.

On the flipside, I've been the arse overcharging before too - usually with effects. Case in point - I had my Swollen Pickle up with an asking price equal to it's new retail price - they're going for pretty cheap here but I had no idea, since MF still wants 40 bucks more from what I've seen...

If I'm genuinely interested in what they're selling, I have no problem gently pointing out what it sells for new, in case it's a mistake.

I get a kick out of the guys that try to add taxes and shipping (cuz they ordered it online when they bought it) to it's original price when giving the breakdown of why they want so much for it :)

4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, drives me nuts. Today, it was a guy selling a Yamaha PAS300 PA system. Claimed they sold retail for $1100, so he was offering a great deal for $700.

They actually sell new for $600.

He also said they had 10" speakers when in reality they're 8"... etc etc....

5. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Usually they're trying to claim list price, hoping someone doesn't know about musicians friend.

6. INTP

INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    The other day, I saw a CL listing for student classical guitars for $65-70. The text compared them to a model at GC that was $120. The photos were lifted from RondoMusic.com, and sell there for 32.95-39.95 depending on the model.

Buyer beware...

7. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    I constantly see squier affinity P basses with no case etc, going for 20-30 more than retail.the one that made me laugh was one that was pretty beat up with no goodies for 250

8. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    I've sold a few pedals above current street value a few times. I always list my stuff higher than what I want for it because people like to haggle but some guys either don't think to haggle with me or really didn't bother trying to find street value. My favorite is when people try to sell guitars signed by famous bands for ridiculous prices. Those ads usually get flamed.

9. And of course the people selling Squier P basses, but listing them as "BRAND NEW GOOD CONDITION FENDER P BASS!!"

Garret Graves likes this.
  10. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    My biggest pet peeve is when you inquire for more details and then they reply, "Well, it's white."

11. Markpotato

Markpotato

Jul 19, 2012
    Eureka Springs, AR
    Luthier, Sorrentino Guitars
    Every single post ever titled "Fender Guitar" is a black Squier Strat with white pickguard. Every time.

12. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    Weird timing on this thread... I was just looking on craigslist five minutes ago and noticed 2 separate Schecter Stiletto Custom's for $650 each, presumably sold my different guys. That's $100 over what I'd have to pay GC for a new one. I was like "uh... waaah???"

13. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    90's Trace 12-band, 15" combo for: $1250 (but it is like new). No response to my email yet, nor from the guy with the Eden dc210xlt combo for $900 (b-c bass central has one for $99 more, his is a deal - but they are $250 less all over the place).

Yep, lots of CL love lately in my quest for a decent rig.

14. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Yup. Same with 'Gibson Guitar' -- it's always an Epiphone Special, usually with a skull&crossbones graphic. For $50 more than you could buy one new (if you so desired).

15. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    It seems like Craigs is either people who want to sell for over new retail, or buy for $100. "Your Fender bass is OLD! It will need to be repainted!"

And then there's the Gmail scamsters. Cousins to the Nigerian Princes.

I kinda look at it like our election cycles. Entertainment. Have alaugh.

And at least Craigs isn't going to effect your life for the nest 4 years.

16. Well, surely you need to take into account the true value of the graphics, I mean come on. Lets be realistic here.

17. Etienned

Etienned

Jul 16, 2010
    Montréal
    My peeve is with the "beginner" bass.

Yeah, an unplayable, unreliable piece of junk that needs a major setup. Very cool to learn on : }

18. Mr L

Mr L

Jul 22, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    The thing that kinda blows my mind is the people selling their

"SUPER RARE VINTAGE [insert instrument here] FROM 1812 PULLED FROM THE BURNING WHITEHOUSE OMG1!!1!"

for like $13,000 and expect to get that price on f***ing CRAIGSLIST, like go to an auction so they can tell you how stupid you are to your face.

All the cars I've owned can add up to less than some of the guitars posted on CL...

19. I see this all the time, but I equate "beginner" with inexpensive. Because most people starting out don't want to spend a lot of money if they're not sure they're going to stick with it.

Actually, these, IMO, make GREAT starter basses/guitars. If you're willing to take the time to learn how to set it up and adjust it. Part of owning any guitar is learning how to set it up. And luckily, with those, you get a lot of practice...;)

I listed a "Starter Guitar Package" on CL, mostly just to clear it out because I wasn't using it, it all just sat in the closet. Consisted of a cheap Washburn WI-14 guitar that I had set up and recently strung with GHS Boomer 9's, a 10' cable, a Squier cheapo guitar stand, some picks, some books, a soft gig bag, an analog tuner, and a Squier 15W practice amp. Listed it for $75. Actually, I was hoping somebody would want it for their kid to learn on. I figured that's a reasonable price for all that stuff. Sold right away.....but I got the typical guy.....never played before, I had to demo it for him, and then he says....

"Will you take $70?"

:scowl:

20. Etienned

Etienned

Jul 16, 2010
    Montréal
    Doing a setup, when you have no idea on how a bass should play, is tedious, no mather how much reference material you check on the web. Plus, on most of the cheap basses, you have to compromise during the setup. All of that is imho, of course.