1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

People really DO love their SX basses. Amazing.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Aug 23, 2007.

1. I just perused the classifieds, and I went 6 pages deep and did not see one SX for sale. NOT ONE! I saw Alembics. Jerry Drozd. Nino Valenti. Lakland galore.

Not one single SX. I guess I am simply amazed. All these spendy and boutique basses and people make SX the keepers.

I am floored. And to think I thought I'd find/pick up a maple maple SX jazz on the cheap for a funk gig...not here...I guess I'm paying full price. Damn.

2. Cactusgrant

Cactusgrant

Jul 27, 2006
    hahahhaha! This made me laugh.

3. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    Why not buy the maple/maple Squire Vintage '70s that's for sale up there? ;)

4. I was going to, but someone said they already had their mits on it....trust me, it would have been perfect.

5. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Oh darn indeed. Obviously you're not going to find a used SX on the classifieds because of their value. The whole point to only spending $100+ bucks on a bass is to have the playable bass, not turn around and sell it for cheaper. the retail is so cheap that resale becomes pointless.

6. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

They must hold their value too, because a used one isn't much less than a new one... of course they have generally had something added/changed.

7. Well then there should be more "free to good home: one SX bass" ads out there if resale is moot. I'd give a few strays a home.

But no, but no, it's off to Rondo I go.....

And thangfish, I cannot abide by people who keep modding these basses. I want it bonestockperfect. When I put spinning hubcaps on my car it didn't help the resale at all. ;)

8. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    If you can't be with the one you love...

9. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    i see SX basses listed pretty often and they seem to sell fast so if you don't see one now wait a couple of days?

10. I'm sure of that, I guess I'm just surprised there wasn't at least one in 6 pages. I really honestly was surprised... I seriously just should go to Rondo....

11. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    You'll have to pry my SX from my cold dead hands.

12. Azoore

Azoore

Sep 1, 2004
    Akron, OH
    There was one just a couple of days ago

13. What kind in particular are you looking for? You could always post something in the Wanted section.

14. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr. Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    I rave about the tone of my two fairly new SX Jazz basses!

My SJB-62 4+1 QMD and SJB-75 LTD short scale sound so fantastic that I just sold my Fender Geddy Lee jazz!

15. Where did all the SX P's go on Rondo??

I see them on ebay at times, but it's almost all J's now on Rondo:(

I might have to get the blue fretless P on there - I wish they had that blue one with a maple neck, instead of the fotoflame one..

16. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I would rather break my SX over my gui****'s head than sell it for $100 (what I paid-ish).

I think a lot of SX's are (and will continue to) collect dust.

17. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    +1. I love both of mine. You can't buy an alder body and a figured maple neck for less money than SX sells the complete bass. Heck, you probably can't get the wood blanks for cheaper. As an aspiring builder, SX basses are a dream come true. I just hope there isn't any lead in the paint...

18. +2. I'd probably sell my custom Conklin before I'd part with my SX's.

19. slap2much

slap2much Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
  20. Check that out.:eek: