People that use chorus to thicken up your pick tone. Settings?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Squidfinger, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Hey all,

I've heard a few of you talk about how you say you always use a slight amount of chorus to thicken up your pick tone. Can you share with me your settings for this?

I ass-ume you turn the speed all the way down but where do you put your depth?
  2. You have to experiment with eq....since picks give more clarity, you can definately benefit from more mids..that will really thicken up your tone

Duff McKagen used a chorus to good effect, but his bass always sounded thick and cutting, whether he used it or not...
  3. Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    Does Duff Mckagen have a lot of mdis in his tone? His sound is quite trebbly to my ears.
  4. My fave new sound at the moment is using chorus with a pick - I first heard it on the Incubus "Alive At Red Rocks" DVD, Ben does this awesome little fill and then plays the intro to "Drive"using a chorus and a pick. It sounds great!

I have two chorus pedals - a Boss CE-2 (analog) and a Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus (digital). While the CEB-3 sounds good, I find when I use it with a pick playing driving eighth's, it has a very fine line if it sounds too thin or too boomy. The LOW FILTER dial helps somewhat, but I find I have to tweak it all the time, depending on my string condition, amp settings, if Im in FOH etc.

The CE-2 I set both RATE and DEPTH at about 2 oclock and I can get that same sound as the Incubus DVD (I can also get this with my EVH Phase 90 in script mode at about 11 oclock). The CE-2 is my favourite for this kind of playing, as I can set it and forget it and use the CEB-3 for more traditional chorus runs.

If you can get your hands on the Incubus DVD, check it out - its worth it for the bass playing alone.
  5. Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    On the Small Clone, rate at 9:00 and depth switch down. This is why I love EHX stuff. Plus it has a rich, organic sound.
  6. Yes he does.

This is a big misconception, because lots of people think that mids = mud, and it's far from the truth....Duff used lots of treble on top of his mids.... a nice raw, rocky, midrange-heavy bass guitar does wonders to a rock song..

Justin Chancellor, Paul D' Amour, Geddy Lee, and Chris Squire all used mids...

......without mids, you wind up sounding like Fieldy - he hates mids....the end result is a high-end that sounds like a toneless "click"
  7. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well I don't know if i'll be much help to you, but my Whammy on Shallow Detune gets me a nice chorus. Just try with the gain knob rather low.
  8. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    It's kind of a trial and error thing. Too much will make it muddy. Too less won't let you cut through. What I do is keep the mids rather high on my bass and moderately low on my amp.