1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

People thinking cover versions are the originals

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lowenduser, Aug 17, 2007.

1. I just had a smile breaking experience yesterday with one of my teen age students who was commenting on the fact the he had just heard Bob Dillon's "new" song, All Along The Watchtower and thought it much better than Jimi Hendrix's "original" version. I sighed as I had to tell him both versions had been round for a while, and in fact, Bob's was the original..... I'm sure there's plenty of examples of this happening! lol

2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    You're student is on crack. While Dylan's version is good Hendrix's version is unspeakably amazing. I used to think it was Hendrix's song until I found out otherwise.

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I still prefer P.Diddy's original of Kashmir to Led Zeppelin's cover :D

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Similarly, when The Police covered that P.Diddy tune it wasn't all that bad.

5. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I loved it when Atomic Kitten (I think) covered Tide is High and kept hearing people going on about how it was vastly inferior to the "original version" by Blondie.

This is the original version, by the Paragons, albeit with a picture of someone else (apparently)

6. many people think that Whiskey In The Jar is an original metallica song.

7. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Some even think it's a Thin Lizzy original.

8. Yeah lol, some people are like... pfft, Metallica are ripoffs for covering a Thin Lizzy song, and I'm like dude, its not even a thin lizzy song :p.

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yep, I've heard that one before!

10. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Johnny cash singing NIN - Hurt... I hear that all the time...

11. There's a folk band called The Dubliners that made it first popular, but it's a trad song that's been doing the traditional circuits for years! Strange when you hear the "original" version and how rocked up Lizzy and Metallica made it! Still cool versions!

12. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Cream covering Robert Johnson's Crossroad Blues.

13. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California

Me too, and it makes me really angry:spit:

14. Hear this all the time and some pee-ant techno nut goes "ahw cool that's so talented" And it's generally a sample or cover of a 60-70's tune.

I thought the cover that Ugly kid joe did of cats in the cradle was very well done.

The other that while make no mistake I'm no bananarama fan, the cover they did of hazy shade of winter was decent.

oh and the one Faith no more did of Bensons. Just goes to show the head banger metal dudes can be versatile too.

15. i hear that alot with guns n roses, they did a punk cover album called the spaghetti incedent, so i hear alot of things like people much prefer thier original version of since i dont have you.

16. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    It's a scietifically proven fact that Sir Rolf of harris' version of stairway to heaven spanks the pants off the original by some bunch of long haired louts in the 70s... ..can't remmeber their name right now.

17. mmmmmm dunno - must have been one hit wonders in the 70s!

18. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Some even think The Dubliners version from 1967 was the original, but it's at least 200 years older than that.

19. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    I've been guilty of it myself . I enjoy it when I can let my kids listen to an original after hearing a cover song. Not to prove anything , just so they can hear it ...

20. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    A lot of people think Aretha Franklin's version of "Respect" is the original.