1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

People who don't use pedals....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by krfoss, Nov 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Why do you insist on commenting that you don't use pedals in threads specifically asking about pedals. People in those threads are asking about which pedals to use and why those pedals, not whether they should or shouldn't use pedals.

If someone was asking if they should buy a Toyota or a Subaru, would you tell them to get a bike? They weren't asking about a bike!

It just grinds my gears.... /Rant

upload_2020-11-20_10-6-37.png

2. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    The behavior you describe is specifically not allowed by Talkbass. Simply don’t engage, and report the post to the moderators.

3. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    /thread

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Why do folks post anti-slap threads? It's a Talkbass thing. Get over it. Nobody walks in a straight line here.

5. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

They have pedal envy.

Bluesbob, sillyfabe, equill and 5 others like this.
  6. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I have seen the (occasional) anti-pedals comment be constructive - like if someone wants a specific tone and an anti-pedal person says hey I do that by doing XYZ with my EQ and technique and whatnot. Also, I don't think all of those type comments have always been "people shouldn't use pedals" in nature; there must be SOMEthing here in the fx forum that draws a non-pedal person in, right?

7. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    ^^^ First off, this. ^^^

If we're being generous, sometimes threads get to the main page and non-FX users don't realize what they've stumbled on to. Sometimes.

Loring likes this.
  8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Aw c'mon... you're prodding me here :) . This is my golden opportunity :)...

But I will refrain.

And I thank my higher power.

Old Blastard, MCF, JRA and 3 others like this.
  9. WillyWonka

WillyWonka Fretless with a pick Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I slap my pedals

10. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I love effects and own many. The vast majority are not pedals though, and I’ve never used pedals on gigs as far as I can remember. I have a ton of friends in the effects forum here and I think they all get and respect that, FWIW.

whbjr, Loring, Al Kraft and 1 other person like this.
  11. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Not a pedal user, but I couldn't agree with that sentiment more. What is it about someone psyche that motivates them to go to a page to forum they have no interest in and disparage the users? Just ain't right.

Regardless, I do enjoy reading the posts from the users here.

As in all the forums around here, it's probably best to ignore and report.

Marlon Carbone, timplog, db59 and 6 others like this.
  12. nilorius

nilorius Inactive Suspended

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I could count myself almost to them. I have only 2 active pedals, but use them very rare, once in a gig - cry baby wah and tc electronics mini reverb. I use them more, when i practice at home and try to invent some new songs.

13. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Ooooh, I thought it said "petals". My bad.
    texas_bluebonnet.jpg

14. lbbc

lbbc

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    I love the pedals I have but don't use them in a band setting...but there's no need to be offended.

WillyWonka likes this.
  15. I think this is the first post I've ever read in here, except maybe something about compressors a while back when I was experimenting with those. And the only reason I read it is because the title describes me.

16. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Well as a non-pedal user, I'm here to tell you that you are wrong to use pedals, and let me tell you all the reasons. First of all

17. Doctor Roberts

Doctor Roberts

Oct 22, 2007
    Jaco didn't need no pedals

18. Mosfed

Mosfed Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    So it definitely used to be prohibited but I think they dropped that “no effects trolling” rule. It’s no longer pinned in the forum.

19. what grinds my gears?

The “pick vs fingers” comments.

The “don’t ask the weight of a bass I’m selling” threads.

The “wide straps fix neck dive” comments.

Etc....

Comments from no-pedal people come about 37th place on my list.

20. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    The only time I got a warning was for saying something about not using pedals. I thought my comment was fairly innocuous.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.