1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

People who have Car and Car Wreck knowledge, I need your help!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by page, Nov 13, 2006.

  1. Ok , well my afternoon sucked, I rear ended an ex girlfriend while leaving school today by accident. I don't know what happened to me, I was behind her in the line of traffic and I was easing forward and went to press the brake and ended up hitting the gas instead. Im trying to settle with her without getting the insurance involved. She is going to get an estimate on the damage but I want to know what I'm getting into here so can anyone tell me what the price would be for repair?

    The car is a 2002 Mazda . I don't know the exact model but its gray . My Truck was fine but her right tail light was cracked and the trunk was bent in and down at the bottom , up and out at the top. It still closes but there is an open area on the right side where it has been pushed out. There is also a minor paint scratch on the bumper.

    Can anyone give me some possible info, I'll see if I can find out the model of the car. Thanks
  2. canopener


    Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Body work ain't cheap, and good body work is even more...plain and simple. I'm going to assume that the car is in her parents' name, and you're going to have a tough time convincing them not to go through your insurance company, anyway.
  3. if her trunk lid is bent bad, theres a good chance it will need to be replaced. Off the top of my head, i would guess around 1000.00-1500.00 for repairs.

  4. Well, I'm no repair man, but from the looks of it , it seemed like it could be easily popped back into place with a hammer or something.
  5. cheezewiz

    cheezewiz Supporting Member

    Mar 27, 2002
    Let your insurance handle it. That's why you pay the premiums.
  6. Yeah, and that pop back in with a hammer will be $$$$$$$$$.
    Let your insurance handle it, like cheesewiz said.
  7. I once worked in a Mazda parts departments so I can give you a guesstimate on some prices, but they will really differ depending on the model. Just don't say is was a Millenia.

    A trunk lid for a Protege will be around $350.00 and a 626 could be close to $500.00 plus paint and labor. So it might be as much as $700-$850. That's assuming you don't need hinges or the trunk latch.

    A tail lamp for a Protege or 626 could go anywhere from $80.00 to $130.00 plus labor.

    Bumper, if all it needs is a prep work and paint. $250.00 - $350.00. It's not too often they can just buff out a scratches.

    These are just a rough guess on the list price of the parts which is what a body shop will use to give her an estimate. my labor/paint prices is just a guess.

    If she mentions that she is not going through her insurance they may be able to get cheaper parts by shopping around. If they are able to find a trunk lid at a salvage yard she could probably save quite a few bucks. Sometime after market companies will make tail lamps that you can get much cheaper too.

    This is also just the three things you mentioned. If anything else was damaged in the process it could go up considerably. For instance, if the body panel right below the trunk lid is damaged, the part is probably around $200.00, but the labor would be quite a bit to replace it. Same goes for the pocket the tale lamp sits in. The pocket is cheap ($30.00 ?) but the labor to replace it could be a lot. Those are both parts that have to be cut out and welded back in.

    My best advise is to go through your insurance.
  8. TrooperFarva


    Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I gotta disagree with the consensus here. If you're still in school, and you go through your insurance to pay for this, your premiums are going to skyrocket. Insurance companies are looking for any and every reason to increase premiums, especially on beginner drivers. Avoid using the insurance if you can.
  9. Not very likely.

    Was the lid damaged at all? Dented? If so it will have to be replaced.

    If you hit her, she deserves her car to look as good as it was if not better than before you hit her. Whacking the trunk back in place with a hammer would be a hack job. Lets say I dropped your bass down a flight of stairs. Would you want me to glue the neck back in place or would you like a new neck?
  10. Well , you see, going through the insurance would be great, but its my parents finding out that I want to avoid.
  11. Geoff St. Germaine

    Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

    I don't know how similar it would be, but my wife was rear ended about a year and a half ago. She drives a 2000 Acura Integra. From the sounds of it, there was similar damage... one cracked tail light and a dented rear quarter panel. I think the total came to about $2000 CDN. The hatch wasn't dented or scratched, so that probably saves a bunch of money. Bodywork is not cheap.
  12. Steve Clark

    Steve Clark

    Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    My insurance exeprience is for fleet vehicles so the experience is a bit different plus Canada and the States may have differences but one of the reason premiums are so high these days is that a lot of the small stuff is being put through.

    The insurance company math is simple: money in money out and the difference is made up in increased premiums.

    Insurance should be there for the big hits: when you run over a doctor who has three kids, not for small body repairs. I know $2000 isn't a small amount of money but might be cheaper than a long term hike in premiums.

    I would also get several estimates. We went for a repairs estimate recently and the top import car repair place would have charged more than double for what we eventually paid at a smaller shop.

    Another issue that could come up with the ex is that the estimate ends up including other dings and bumps that get added in to the fix.

    I have opinions on keeping out of the crash in the first place but I'll leave that for now. www.yd.com (my other company) :bag:
  13. TrooperFarva


    Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Exactly. If you were to go through insurance to pay for $2000 in body repairs, you'll pay back that $2000 in increased premiums within a year or 2, but then you'll still have jacked up premiums. If you go through insurance for something like this, you'll end up paying 5-10X what it would cost to just pay up front. Insurance is good if your vehicle gets completely wrecked, or you're in an accident with injuries, but for something like this, I definitely recommend not going through the insurance.
  14. irjason

    irjason In Memoriam

    Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Probably ought to just tell them now and get it over with. Hiding it isn't going to be easy.
    I was rear ended a few years ago by a car in my Isuzu Trooper I had at the time. All it did was bend up my bumper pretty bad. Shops estimated 800-1000 just to replace the bumper and supports for it. Unless you have that kind of cash (or more) sitting around, you'll probably have to get your parents or insurance involved.
  15. DannyB


    Aug 17, 2004
    Here in NC, they have insurance points (alongside license points).. You get a point for every $1000 in damage for an accident in which you were at fault, but it caps at 3 points per accident from what my insurance company says.

    I just totalled our Honda on a garbage truck (no damage to him) last month and my rates are going up $50 per month for a $4500 payout. Ouch. But I think they clear after either 3 or 5 years, so I guess the insurance pays off in my favor... but I guess the point of it is that they'll get theirs back one way or another, say whenever the rates rise in general.

    It's six one way and half a dozen the other. I guess the real question is, do you have the money on hand right now to pay for it all? If so, you might be better dodging the insurance folks.
  16. burk48237

    burk48237 Supporting Member

    Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Now days you breath on a car it's two grand, this one sounds closer too three. Parts cost is absolutely ridiculous and body work/painting is not cheap.
  17. jkritchey


    Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Not telling your parents about an ACCIDENT? An Accident? Dude, unless you were stoned or are not telling us everything, you need your parents counsel and support. You can get the advice of your insurance people with out getting them to pay for it.

    And when an opportunity comes along to agree with Burk, I like to take it. $3000 doesn't seem out of the question. No way in the world would I accept hammering out a dent on my truck for your error.
  18. guy n. cognito

    guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

    Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    This is a stupid idea. Tell them now. Trust me, they will find out later, and you will be in even more trouble.

    Here's a general rule of thumb- if a body shop has to do ANY body work, it's going to cost at least $1,000. That assuming that they just have to do panel work. If they have to replace items like bumpers, trunk lids, etc, then you'd better plan on $1,500 or higher. If there is frame damage, I would estimate no less than $3,000.
  19. mimaz


    Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    While this is very true, I can tell you based on nearly 20 years in the automotive business that you get what you pay for where bodywork is concerned. Very often the small "inexpensive" corner shop turns out substandard work. I am certainly not saying that every small or inexpensive shop turns out substandard work, just that I've had much better success over the years sticking with the well established professional shops, even if it does cost a few more bucks.

    On the subject of telling the parents: DO IT NOW! Situations like these have a way of coming back to grab you later, and there is no reason to have a lack of trust in the relationship with your parents.

    Regarding insurance involvement: Supposing you don't involve the insurance, you pay for a repair at whatever shop you choose, and you believe the situation has been resolved.......then, a few days, weeks, or months later, you are approached by your ex or her parents and they claim that the repairs were not done properly, or that there were additional unseen damages, or that your ex now has a sore neck......etc, etc, etc. Now you are on the "legal hook" without the protection offered by the insurance that you have paid for. This could very quickly spiral out of control, trust me, I've seen it happen many times before. If you try to "beat the system", you may get away with it, but if you don't, it could quickly become more costly than you could possibly imagine!
  20. i backed into another car once, a coworkers, i didnt tell my mum, coworker rang up and left an answer phone message, i got in trouble, dont try hiding it

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.