People who lie to sell basses

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Neal Brakey, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Neal Brakey

Neal Brakey

Sep 22, 2018
    Irving, Texas
    I have noticed for some time now that when people try to sell or trade a bass with you they will say it was their "Favorite" or "the best bass I have ever owned" or "been my main player" just to name a few
    I mainly noticed it when I made a dumb trade giving away my at Music Man Stingray for a Carvin LB70.
    The day after I made that trade the guy put that same music man bass on craigslist, raised the price to 1300 and said "One of the best basses I ever had" it has yet to sell, but I sure have started noticing people use those terms more often, it makes it hard to believe people sometimes.

bdplaid, Clark Dark, Mr_Moo and 16 others like this.
  2. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Craig’s List? You expected otherwise?

kobass, wmmj, spaz21387 and 14 others like this.
  3. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i've seen people lie to sell anything - cameras, basses and guitars, condos, cars - actually especially cars. i've always found the highest percentage of lying ads for cars.

4. Neal Brakey

Neal Brakey

Sep 22, 2018
    Irving, Texas
    You got me there, but it was before I found this forum and started to use it.
    I used to trade a lot on craigslist.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  5. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Flipping instruments is a viable way to earn income. I'm not saying their routes to get the deal are ok or sometimes even ethical, but there is a great deal of money to be made in it.

wmmj, operagost, daveman and 9 others like this.
  6. twinjet

twinjet Powered by GE90s; fueled with coffee. Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Unfortunately true. People and companies are way more scammy than first meets the eye. Quite pitiful.

7. I've sold some of the best instruments I've owned. I needed money more than the bass.

kobass, SirMjac28, Marc61 and 24 others like this.
  8. Neal Brakey

Neal Brakey

Sep 22, 2018
    Irving, Texas
    I can understand that. I don't mind selling basses that mean something to you if you can be honest and up front.
    Who knows, maybe that's why I could never be a salesman, I am upfront and honest about anything I sell

RaggaDruida, Dgl44, bassicg and 11 others like this.
  9. AdamR

AdamR Inactive Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Its not a very good marketing move to say "worst bass I've ever owned"

Clipped, Wisebass, IamGroot and 27 others like this.
  10. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Same. But I was a guitar salesman for nearly a decade lol. I actually never sold any of my personal items before earlier this month. Maybe I’m being to honest with my listing lol.

EatS1stBassist and Neal Brakey like this.
  11. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    Exactly! Cars are NOT Cream Puffs

yodedude2 and EatS1stBassist like this.
  12. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Nor is it 'best bass I ever flipped for 25% mark up from the guy I just bought it from 3 days ago' :smug:

As long as their descriptions are accurate concerning what it is and what the condition is all that really matters.

13. ColonelZulu

ColonelZulu Not Impressed By Those Who Flaunt “Authority” Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    One bass I have for sale actually is my favorite player. But I need to make room for a 5-string and it’s the only reasonable option.

Another is the one I played most over the last 5 years or so, but it’s not getting used.

I could go on all day about how great these Basses are... doesn’t me I can’t sell or trade them.

wmmj, daveman and EatS1stBassist like this.
  14. AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    True, But only you know that he's flipping it for 25% more than he got it for.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    Simply, marketing if it is a flipper bass.

I have an amazing, to me, Martin up for sale in the classifieds, but I am selling it due to financial hardship, nothing more.

16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    If I could only own 36 basses what would they be?
    I have sold several basses that were literally my favorite or my main player …. but then I have owned more basses than I can count … probably more than 75. My playing and tastes have evolved over time and sometimes I own a lot of basses and I need cash ...

17. AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    My favorite is old cars with the claim. "No rust ever"

redstrand and saabfender like this.
  18. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    That could very well be true depending on the where the car has spent its life.

19. lfmn16

lfmn16 Inactive Suspended

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Let it go. We've all made bad trades, some of us just won't admit it.

20. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    "Best bass I ever owned" may be true, but it tells me nothing. Maybe every bass that person has is a POS.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022