People who own many basses (4+)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Urbs, Mar 9, 2004.

Why own so many basses

Poll closed Apr 8, 2004.
  1. For sentimental reasons

12 vote(s)
  2. Each has a unique tone

116 vote(s)
  3. For looks

3 vote(s)
  4. For playability

6 vote(s)
  5. For bragging rights (you know who you are...)

7 vote(s)
  6. For back up

6 vote(s)
  7. Other (please list below...)

25 vote(s)
  1. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    This is no flame but more of an understanding of why you TBers own so many basses! :confused:
  2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Different apps. I have four:

One for recording (Roscoe Beck 5). Kept in tiptop shape for precisely that reason. Does all the classic passive Fender tones, at least to a good approximation.

A beater for gigs (MTD Kingston 5). Cheap, don't care what happens to it, relatively light and very playable. Idiotproof electronics (there aren't any) and cuts through in loud live settings better than the RB5. Can't do Fender though.

Fretless (Turner Renaissance 5). Specialty applications, acoustic gigs. Sound of a fretless isn't really reproducible with a fretted, IMO.

Electric Upright (Eminence). Jazz, classical, arco stuff. Sounds as close to an upright as I've found in an EUB. Fits through a subway turnstile with some minor effort and doesn't dominate a studio apt.
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I voted Other:

The other reason being that I am insane. :)
  5. My P-clone has the big P-Bass sound, my fretless Jazz has the "mwah" and growl, my Reverend has the b-i-g series thump and my Hamer CruiseBass has what I'd call an "optomized" Jazz sound. 4 basses, 4 different tones.
  6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    For variety. Not just tone, but looks, feel, etc.
  7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Bragging rights here...

I'm a pompous ass... Just ask anyone around here..

8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My Stingray for it's tone
    My P-Bass for it's tone
    My Soundgear for it's sentiment

And a fretless jazz coming soon for playability I guess.
  9. JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Stingray for rock/metal with its growl and punch.
    Modulus for deep deep low sustain and slap
    Pedulla for my only P pup
    Roscoe for pretty much everything
  10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have 11 (that I will count, anyway) and I guess I could say that each for its unique tone, but more likely, each is for the resolution of G.A.S. You be the judge:

1) '82 Fender P-Bass with Kent Armstrong pickup (4-string)
    2) Modified Jazz bass with active EMGs and pre and after-market, block inlay neck (4-string)
    3) Tune Bass Maniac with EMG preamp and pickups (4-string)
    4) Petrek handmade German bass with Basstec preamp and pickups (4-string)
    5) Valenti jazz with passive electronics & Basslines pickups (4 string)
    6) Lakland Skyline 44-02 fretless tobacco burst (4-string)
    7) Modified Copley with Basslines preamp and pickups (5 string)
    8) DR Heartfield DR 5 with active electronics (5 string)
    9) Dillion MM copy (5-string)
    10) Cort Curbow with Bart MK1s (6-string)
    11) Olympia AEB (4-string)

Each has its own personality, feel, tone, etc.
  11. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    All of above....
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I like basses, too!:)

Nordstrand SC5 - This is arrived today, and will probably take the Cirrus' slot as my do-everything-bass. Slap, tap, fingerstyle, chords, etc. Will be used with my originals band, and some at church.

Peavey Cirrus 6 - This used to be my do-everything-bass, until I decided that I wasn't a six stringer. Now it is my tapping and chords bass, mostly for my enjoyment here at home. I also take it to church on occasion.

Zon Sonus Custom fretless 5 - This is my main fretless, and gets played mostly at church.

Hamer CH12 - Because I need the sound of a twelve string on a couple of my original bands songs, and I plan to incorporate it on some more as time goes on.

Fender Jazz Geddy Lee - Because everybody should have a Jazz bass! We recorded three songs in the studio back in December, and one of them just SCREAMED for a Jazz. Luckily, I had this one, and it recorded just great! See for yourself. <URL src="">Get thee behind me Satan</URL>

SX BG-80 - Because everybody needs a P bass!

Ibanez SR506 - Decent 6 stringer, and worth more to me than I could sell it for. One day, it will be defretted and fitted with EMGs.

Westone Quantum - Decent Steinie copy. Lots of sentimental value, I played it in my first band as a teenager, then sold it. Saw it on Ebay last year(the exact same bass I had!) and had to have it.

Electra Westone Spectrum fretless - Decent fretless, fitted with black tapewounds so that I have a fretless with an upright vibe.

Peavey Foundation - This one also has some sentimental value, and like the Ibanez is worth more to me than I could sell it for. Semipermanently loaned out to a poor guy who can't afford a bass. It is his until he can afford one, and then it will probably come back home. If that never happens, it's cool.

Lakland D55-01 - This one actually belongs to my wife. She wanted to learn how to play bass, so she bought this. She hasn't picked it up in over a year. It accompanies me to gigs as a backup, and gets played at church from time to time.
  13. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    11 basses!? :eek:

I guess I dont use the search function well :smug:

For tonal reasons seems to make the most sense to me, that and the bragging rights :p I might have to start an assembly of basses myself :bassist:
  14. I used to own two basses (one primary and one backup). But since my family is in a tight spot financially, and one of my basses never felt quite right (string spacing too narrow for me) I sold one.

Yes, I am a performing musician (play nearly every weekend) and I only own

one bass. :eek:

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

When 25 years you have been playing, a lot of gear you will accumulate.:p
  16. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    ^this is the truth, my friend!
  17. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Tone. There is no Holy Grail.
  18. I have five. I won't bother listing them, you can look in my bio.

While ALL new basses are a joy to play and have that new bass smell, not all are played in equal shares. After the "New bass thrill" wears off, some don't come out of the case as much. I think this happens to many of us. Loss of interest in one bass can lead to G.A.S., and the coveting and purchase of a new baby. :bassist:

Just reading what the folks here have to say DEFINITELY influences me, and I get the best advice in the world as to which instruments to check out.

GROUP HUG !!! :hyper:

Mike :D