People who play bass and shouldn't?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Further to this thread, let's have some people who play bass but shouldn't!

I vote for myself. Pete Wentz too.

2. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    Sting!! Decent good song writer, lame bass player IMO.

3. bassasm33

bassasm33

Nov 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    +1 Sting is successful by surrounding himself with betterr musicians, while keeping his own lines simple.

4. Gary Way

Gary Way

Jun 8, 2007
    GENE SIMMONS. His singing is the only thing worse than his playing. IMHO

5. pathdoc2

pathdoc2

Oct 16, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    You guys are wrong. Sting is a very good bassist and knows how to give the rest of the instruments space in the mix.

6. I'm going to say this- Peter Hook. Great basslines but sometimes they're a little too pretentious!

7. RTL

RTL Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Wolfgang Van Halen!

8. Gary Way

Gary Way

Jun 8, 2007
    For sure Wolfgang. Can I change my vote?

9. personally i think Sting is a phenomenal MUSICIAN first and foremost, and that translates well to his bass lines, so they are melodic and usually quite perfect for the song, but i will admit he lacks technical proficiency and that does hinder him from becoming one of the best bassists out there...as for Peter Hook, he has some sick basslines but sometimes he seems like a confused lead guitarist, but hey, he made a living out of it and he maintained his creativey unlike some *cough* pete wentz *cough* so thats got to account for something

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    Nikki Six
    Gene Simmons

11. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    How about...any bassist who spends too much time worrying about whether other people "should" be bassists? :ninja:

12. Wow, really?

:confused:

...guess my ears are hearing something that ain't there, because Mr. Sting is a BAD man on bass, if you ask me. He's not FLASHY, but he can PLAY.

13. haha very good point, we're all bassists, we all love the instrument (or at least enjoy playing it) so who's to say one of us shouldnt play? we dont have that authority

:)

14. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    Can my name be added to the list?

15. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Gene's basslines are interesting and fun to play and you are just saying that because people love to hate him.

I vote for me and Paul McCartney, he even said he didn't want to play bass.

16. RTL

RTL Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Agreed. I remember him rocking what appeared to be a fretless Kubicki Factor 4 on Saturday Night Live some time in the mid 90's. Very very tasteful. He always knows what's right for the song, and executes it masterfully.

17. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    Say What? I'm not saying Paul is the best evar, best seriously some of his lines are very well written. Try singing while playing those lines.. There is about 10,000 other bass players I would mention before Paul.

18. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    There is some serious irony in you defending Gene Simmons while putting down Macca. Simmmons has said repeatedly that McCartney was his biggest influence. Sir Paul said INITIALLY that he didn't want to play bass and that he never wrote songs on bass, generally adding it last. But he also said that hearing Jamerson changed his mind and his approach to bass.

Regardless, he found a way to add melodic basslines that not only fit but made songs better - and did it while singing.

I think Sting comes off as a douchebag in terms of his personality, but he's far from a bad bass player. He plays interesting lines and has the most relaxed/way back in the pocket groove of pretty much anyone this side of Pino's work with D'Angelo.

19. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Ditto.

20. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    Sting might get the job done in the studio where you have 150shots at getting it right, but the show I saw he was a total non factor... pretty darned tired!!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021