1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

people who steal cellphones

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    want to vent/rant, even though I realize it's probably not going to do me any good to do so.

99.9% certain I left my android on the table I was eating at in a mexican restaurant yesterday. didn't realize I didn't have it until about an hour later. called the restaurant, called my phone about 20 times, left all kinds of messages on the missing phone... gone. the wait staff at the restaurant (our favorite place where we feel almost like family) said they had a feeling the people who came in after us took it. which of course made me think there's a possibility the wait staff took it... :/

anyhow, woke up this morning feeling really violated. I've got a bunch of pictures and videos on there from niagara falls, which we just visited. other pictures that meant a lot ot me, my 81 year old parents and other such shots that will never be replaced. thank god no naked, but some sexy shots of my wife. there was access to all my emails and everything else on my phone for a few hours. and some a-hole is now walking around with my $300 android.

don't need the lectures of everything I learned since it's gone. I know. I SHOULD have: had insurance, put in a locator app, backed up my pictures, been more careful, and a bunch of other things. It was a no contract phone by the way. I paid full price.

I think the thing that gets me most is I would never even consider not returning a phone if I found one. I have found phones at my gym, and when I broght them to the front dest they looked surprised and thanked me bigtime. And I'm thinking someone else is viewing my mishap here as a "finders keepers" kind of thing. I know the way kids can be with cellphones I have the feeling to whoever found it or took it it's nothing more than a huge score, as if they found few hundred dollar bills in the street.

When I kept calling it yesterday I thought too it was probably just part of the game for the new owners, as in this is what happens when you get a new phone. It buzzes and rings for a few hours but eventually stops when the old owners finally give up and stop their service.

It's frikken sad. I don't know how pissed I even am anymore. More sad, that people can be such pieces of crap. And yeah, I know there's much MUCH worse that people are capable of. And much worse that people do. I'm grateful I was able to go out and buy another phone. I'm grateful for a lot of things. Rant over.

2. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    No lower form of life than a petty thief, and possibly no worse feeling than when you know they got you for something.

I've gone way outta my way to return people's phones, and rarely do I turn them in, having held jobs where people man lost & founds its almost ALWAYS a way for the employees to score free stuff.

I remember finding a phone in Busch Gardens last summer (amusement park) I called the last 2 #'s had them call someone else presently with the owner, and spent the next hour trying to talk the guy into my location in the park so he could get it back.

I almost didn't pick it up as it was in a place where the owner may return looking but I saw the look on a couple of teenagers faces and made sure they couldn't rip the guy off.

Done the same thing with purses, wallets, and other things. It's unfortunate not everyone is decent. But you never know, someone may call a # in it, I wouldn't hold my breath but you never know. Sorry about your pics, that is never a good thing.

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I've returned a few phones as well. Something like a cellphone especially ends up being a very personal item - pics, emails, stored numbers, etc etc. You have to be a real douche to steal something like that.
    My two sons (teenagers) found one once and spent almost a whole day trying to track down the owner. They did. I was proud of them.

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I actually still use a Nokia Brick. Anyone willing to actually steal THAT phone has got to truly be one sick sonuva*****!

5. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    At least its only material. As it seems like whoever is in possession of it has no plans to return it you might want to call your provider and suspend service.

6. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    And a Text Bomb, send a Text bomb

Make it say Some smart assed remark, then text bomb the hell outta it.

Send it 1,000 texts every 5 hours or so.

Might as well make it worthless to the new owner.

7. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Did it already. Have a new phone up and running. It was tough to do that though as I felt I was putting a nail in the coffin. Once I stopped service I figured any chance of recovery is out the window.

Feel like I got a $300 fine for neglectfulness yesterday.

Only consolation is that the new phone is better than the old. 4G, 3D (which I didn't know till I got it home), and it acts as a wirelss hotspot which could wind up saving me a chunk of it's pruchase price on vacations where I wind up paying hotels too much money for internet service.

It's good to hear that others go out of their way to make sure people get their stuff back. I'm going to choose to believe that the majority of people would.

8. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Having said that, it's the irreplaceable content such as once in a lifetime photos that are hard to bear losing. Music, contacts etc...meh....

My phone is full of pics and videos of my little girl. This one was taken at a theme park two days ago.

View attachment 281172

Thanks to Joe's experience, I will now download and back up all my pics. Sorry mate, but if it's any consolation, your story has sparked me into ensuring my pictures at least can never be stolen.

9. I know the feeling ... Sucks... Lost my galaxy s a mere 3 months after getting it.

Im one of the honest people when it comes to wallets and cell phones...

10. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Thanks. That actually does make me feel better. It's always a good thing when my experience can benefit others. :) For real.

The niagara falls pics and vids are really stinging, because my wife and I got lucky enough to get underneath the falls on an absolutely georgeous day, with the greatest rainbow I ever saw in my life. I had some awesome video of that, that I liked to play just to calm me down at times and make me smile. I pretty much think the shots I had there are irreplaceable. There's a slight chance I transferred them to my laptop... I'm afraid to look because I'm pretty certain I didn't, but I think I'll go check now. If I did, I shall post em. :)

11. Same thing happened to me last week while on vacation, and the locator app couldn't find the phone. No insurance, either. :atoz: Fortunately, I had backed things up, but I'm still pretty PO'ed over the whole deal, both at myself as well as at the perp(s).

12. my girlfriend leaves her phone and keys laying places all the time. how she hasnt lost them yet is beyond me.. atleast once a week we have to go back in a store or restaraunt because she left one or both of those items.

13. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Why not go back and call your phone with a different one, to see if it's still there, but in someone else's possession?

Also, go online and check your account, to find out who has been called since you lost it. They can get the approximate location, based on the cell sites used and if they used WiFi, it will show the IP address of the location.

14. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I believe there are apps that you can remotely install that'll lock the phone and give you the GPS location of the phone.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I remember you telling us about that Mexican restaurant before. Didn't they do something special for you recently?

-Mike

16. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yeah, and I do get that. Ive just never put much stock in photos things of that nature. I accidentally deleted my cell content the other day when transferring data from my SD card to my laptop.
    All my contacts and music are backed up, but I lost a bunch of pics. Oh well, they were mostly of my ex and I dont look at them much. Ive always been one to keep my memories in my head. But yeah, I could see how losing some pics could have more of an effect on others.

Remember to back your stuff up often!

17. People are unscrupulous filth. Sure there are good ones here and there, but generally it comes down to self-service.

A client I used to work with stole a nice BlackBerry from a respite home he stayed at maybe last year. I found it on him and easily could have pocketed it for myself. Instead, I tracked down the owner's number off the phone and contacted him. He was a VERY thankful college student. I mailed the phone back to him. Knowing I made the dude's day made MY day. I really am amazed the guilt of some people's actions don't eat at them. Pathetic.

18. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I found a cell phone on the street while riding ym bike.
    A friend and I called a bunch of numbers trying to get ahold of the owner.
    We told them all we found someone's phone and are trying to return it.
    No one would help. I figure it might have been a drug dealers burner phone.

19. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Good memory! :). They gave us a complimentary dinner as an xmas gift. That was 2 yrs ago.

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I would feel the same way. There is more happiness in giving than receiving.

-Mike