Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

People with GAIN, MASTER controls

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by semborg, Jun 28, 2005.

1. How do you put your GAIN, and MASTER controls?

I always put my MASTER at full (10/10).
    Then I put up gain so it not distorts.

How do you put it?
    Stupid to have MASTER full?

(Master is not OUTPUT LEVEL, it's PREAMP output I think)

2. LEts say "less than optimal", not stupid...

Should be gain up until clip light comes on rarely, then turn up master to get the volume you want.

Randy

3. No I have "INPUT LEVEL" to adjust that.
    Then I have "GAIN"
    Then I Have "MASTER"
    Then I Have "OUTPUT"

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I just have Gain/Master. I use Master to to control volume, and keep the gain pretty low prob like 9:00.

5. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I've never heard of something like that. Are the input and outputs maybe for something else? Like if you wanted to use your amp as a preamp for a DI?

6. Ashdown do that on their equipment, the input level is just gain and oupput is master volume. That's all.

7. Hmm, don't think so.
    I have:
    1. Input level (Sets the input level)
    2. Gain (Pre-Amp gain)
    3. Master (Master Volume)
    4. Output (Output level) <--- This is the volume

8. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    If you are talking about the amp listed in your profile, the digital Yamaha head, then you have a unique situation. Doesn't the master volume control the volume of the preset?

9. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Ok, so I looked up the head you have...

I think that your input level and your output are really a gain and a master volume.

The knobs that are labeled gain and master probably have something to do with the built in effects that the head has, or mabye involve the compressor.

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I like clean but warm. I run the Input level or Gain up to 'warm' and then the Master Vol to set the overall level I'm wanting. My Demeter sounds a little warmer to my ear in the middle of the dial so that's where I set it... No distortion just a little sweeter than at say 9:00.

11. kneal6

kneal6

May 23, 2005
    Liverpool, UK
    I have that Yamaha head.

GAIN and MASTER control the simulated preamp, so the more you put gain up, the more distortion(the good kind). MASTER is just there so that you can even out the volumes between presets(those 5 buttons at the top). Generally, if you like how a lot of GAIN sounds (depends on what amp type you have selected), then MASTER should be quite low, but if it sounds good to you when GAIN is as low as possible, then what you're doing is fine. If you just want more or less volume, you should use the OUTPUT control.

12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    gain at 12... and i adjust the master accordingly

13. ah, thank you

14. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Gain full. Master at .5