People with lots of basses...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Aug 22, 2001.

1. A poll in the 'basses' section suggests that four TBers have 15 or more basses.

Just one question. How do you keep them in strings?
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Assuming that this is a serious question I have two basses and two guitars. I find that even with a small 'family' and guitar strings being a lot cheaper I have to stagger the purchases.

How much does John Turner spend on strings?
  3. Good question.
    Luckily I have a pro bass player friend who is an endorsee for Elites and he lets me have them for about half price.

I regularly gig about 4 of my 16 basses and these get re-strung about every 12 gigs.
    The rest I re-strung as and when I acquired them, but I also recycle the strings from my main
    gigging basses which normally have quite a bit of life left in them.

I have found that by wiping my strings after a gig with a little WD-40 from a felt pad, helps them stay bright for much longer. (If anyone tries this, be careful not to get any on your fret board)
    In an ideal world it would be good to change them all every couple of months, but it isn’t really affordable.
  4. Yes, it is a serious question.

5. Yeah JT had to put that in 4 times because he could've crashed the server cause it wouldn't go to that certain number for one member. Bit like his post count really... kinda outragous!

6. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I answered seriously, but I did find the post funny. In UK strings are about £18 (x approx 1.4 for USD).
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I change strings only when I have to. When I notice that the brightness is gone, the srtings are gone. I use "FingerEase" everytime I play my bass & try to wipe the string down (when I remember) so the strings last pretty long.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Hmmm - not necessarily! Before I discovered the internet and that I could buy strings mail order from the US, I was paying £46 for a 6 string set of D'Addario Slowounds from the Bass centre in London. :eek:
  9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've got 11 basses (2 of them URB) at last count. I no longer change strings as often as I once did.

Used to be at Christmas and 4th of July I'd put on new strings and pop in fresh Duracells for the active basses. Then I started to only do that for my gig basses.

Now my main gig bass is strung with flats, and I haven't changed them for a long time...about 2 years at this point!!!

The URBs get new strings only when they start to get totally dead or unravel. Last set I bought was a $300 gut set :eek: so I'm in no rush to restring it :)

Not sure how long the gut will last, the steel sets are cheaper ($100) and I can get three years out of them easily.
  10. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Please could you tell me where you get your strings? You can answer via PM if you want to stop the thread going in loads of directions. Thanks in anticipation.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

No problem - I uaually get all my strings from :

Go to the musicans' store and they have a very large range of strings and I have found that they are always at least half the price (or less than) I would pay in the UK - even allowing for P&P. I am also happy to promote them as they have been very reliable and quick - no problems with many orders!!

Recently I have started experimenting with other strings and have bought some direct from Zon Guitars, which I really like.
  12. CS

Dec 11, 1999
  13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I have a good friend who runs a music store and he gives me good deals on strings. I bought ten sets of Trace Elliot strings for $60 off ebay about a year ago. I don't really like them, but I have them on a few of my basses. I have flatwounds on a couple of basses and I probably won't change them until they break. My four main gigging basses get changed every couple of months or so, and I put the old ones on some of my other basses. I keep towels in my cases and always wipe down the strings after I play, that keeps them sounding good for a while longer.
  14. Mr. X

Mr. X

Mar 29, 2001
    You mean that, you are SUPPOSED to change the strings????;)
  15. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Thank goodness I use flats. Leave them on forever. My upright strings were about $150, but I will leave them on for five years or so.
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't understand the question. All my basses came with strings on 'em.
  17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you guys don't really want to know how much my strings cost me, in bulk.

let's put it this way, they cost me less than they cost guitar center :eek:.
  18. When i re-string (4 guitar's, 1 bass), it is a real pain in the butt, because for some reason i began to like the sound of expensive strings. I put elixers on both of my acustics ($18x2), then I put Thomastick's on my gretsch ($18), GHS boomers on my bass ($18), and then Ernie Ball's on my electric guitars ($5x2) over all? $82 its a real pain, but i dont always change all the strings at once. Normaly when GC is having a strings sale (i.e 10 packs for the price of 6) I jump on it right away, because some times guitar strings will only last a week due to a break. Bass strings normaly last me a few months due to the tone i like coming from deader strings. Acustic... i dont play as much as electric, so i dont have to change it that much. So its mostly guitar that kills me.

Anyone know a good reliable strings store online that will sell cheaper if purchaced in bulk?