People with no musical knowledge...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Suckbird, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    So a friend of mine got his first guitar a couple of months ago and he haven't touched it at all, so when i went to visit him (he lives 250km away from me, not often i get to see him) i decided that i was going to teach him how to play...

I thought the best thing would be to learn him recognicable songs which would inspire him to play more and become better...

Well, i played some Iron Maiden, Black sabbath/Ozzy osbourne, AC/DC, Nirvana, Green Day, Guns 'n roses and alot more...

He haven't heard any of these groups or the songs i played!
    He didn't know they exist and he's listening to heavy... well he's listening to hammerfall which he doesn't like anymore...

Isn't this amazing? I mean, Paranoid, Iron man, Crazy train, Back in black, Smells like teen spirit, Paradise city, Welcome to the jungle and the radiohits of green day just to name a few...

He haven't heard anything!

If you ask him what music he likes then he says anything but scream music, still he talks bad of all the music he hears and makes of fun of it...

I think someone should get out more often...

have you guys ever experienced something similar.. ?

the most weird things of all is that we've been friends for over 14years, and i first recognized this until a couple of weeks ago...
  2. TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    On school trip to NY, a girl came back to talk. Me and the guys started talking about Black Sabbath. She had never heard of them, not even of the song "Iron Man". Plus she didn't know who Ozzy was... That's pretty normal of a girl nowadays though... We let her listen to it on an iPod and I think she fell in love.
  3. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    A lot of the younger generation has no clue about 60's,70,s and 80's music. Rap, Techno, stuff like that they get into. Just like anyone else. Being 30 a lot of my friends don't know the music my babyboomer parents listened to. Ask those same people who Jaco is they will tell you Michael Jackson.
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I have
    You have
    He, she or it has

We have
    You have
    They have

If we show something to somebody we "teach" it to them. To "learn" is to aquire the knowlege of something. We can't "learn" anybody anything, but we can "teach" it to them.

PS. No disrespect intended. I'm assuming english is your 2nd language.
  5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Added the PS while you were writing that. :)
  6. :D
    Just a jab to the rib anyway. :p
  7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Well, if you don't listen to different kinds of music, and study
    them, you will never learn music.

Learning music is a lifelong process. It is easiest for those
    that like music and enjoy learning different genres, classical,
    big band, freeblowin', rock, folk, metal, and so forth.

Yes, I know people that have no musical knowledge. Some
    also have no interest. Then there are a few that play bass.

I had one very good friend I consulted for a bridge on Lola,
    a Kinks song. He had never heard of it. He was kind enough
    to provide this disclaimer. 'I am a musical ignoramus'

It really helps to know oneself. ;)
  8. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I think it's even more frustrating to find someone who 'almost' knows music.

The attempted band before my current band was my first with a female lead singer. This girl had great pipes. Actually, she sounded a lot like the dreadlocked girl on Rockstar/INXS. Except she was completely lacking in music theory, She couldn't play a song the same way twice...ever. She sounded fine playing keys and singing by herself. But if you add in the band. It got ugly, fast.
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I think my parents felt this way when I started getting into music, and they tried to show my some "cool" bands to listen to.

10. That would be "acquire", I'm assuming English is your first language :D

I'm sure this guy's Swedish is better than yours !! :)
  11. Aquire is the "simplified" American spelling ... or i could be wrong :p
  12. I don't think so. I just checked and there is no entry for "aquire".
  13. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Back on track, it doesn't sound as if Mr New-Guitar has got a great musical future in front of him. If he doesn't have much music he enjoys listening to and laughs at most of what he hears, that guitar is probably destined to gather dust. Ho-hum...

I can't think of anyone I know like that who I'd try to talk about music with; on the other hand, none of them have gone out and bought a guitar!

14. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    WHERE AND WHAT THE HELL IS SWEDEN ???!?!?!?!!111111
  15. A pop culture contraction for "sweet den"; a compliment meaning that the living area in your home is decorated approvingly.

16. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

It is the UBER country of Scandinavia with the exception of
    Finland, Iceland, Norway and Denmark. This is very easy to ascertain, just ask a Finn. ;)

17. Well you doo live in Sweden. I don't know many Swedish bands, exept Soilwork, In Flames, Mastadon?, The Haunted, At the Gates... I heard from a Finn most of those bands are actually from Finnland though, so I'm not even totally sure. I don't know any scandanavian pop groups, and I def dont know any scandanavian groups from before the 80's. Its understandable that he hasn't heard any American music, although England is on your side of the pond so he should have heard some Maiden and Sabbath.
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    He needs to take a music appreciation class. Then he'll like the Doobie Brothers and Edward Van Halen.