Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

People with SABDDI's-PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass-shy, Jul 12, 2005.

1. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    So, I'm modding all of my pedals, including my SABDDI. While I already had the back plate off, I figured I would swap out the LED for something a little different. The problem is that when I touched the solder on the back of the board, the inlaid circuit material lifted off near the LED. I tested the new LED once I put it all back together and not only does it not work, I'm getting no signal through the rest of the pedal. Is it possible for any of you to take a picture of the bottom of the circuit board and post it for me? I know it's a tall order but I would seriously owe you one. Please help me.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Let me be the first to ask: why are you modding your pedals? What's wrong with them the way they are, or are you just looking for something a bit custom at the risk of potentially ruining them?

3. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    +1

The SABDDI is imo the sweetest sounding pedal made. Why muck with it? :rollno: If it aint broke, don't fix it.

I treat all my stuff with TLC in hopes it will not break.

4. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I'm modding the SABDDI to smooth out the OD and put some mids back in. Otherwise, it IS a great pedal. Can anyone help me though?

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Let me ask, what kind of electronics background do you have? Far too many people jump into this without knowing anything about what they're doing ...

6. Do you have any idea how to smooth out the OD?

And to get more mids in you just cut the bass and the treble, the mid range is dynamic like that (cut the B & T the mid boosts, boost the B & T the mid cuts)

The ONLY worth while mod i can see for a SABDDI is maybe putting in a blue LED

7. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    My electronics experience is ample. I just ran into one specific problem. I was also planning on adding a blue LED. If it's too much trouble to post a pic, nevermind.

8. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    What is with you people? He's not modding the original draft of the Constitution with a Sharpie. Give him a break already.

[​IMG]

Hope that helps. Click on it for a larger version and let me know if you need a picture of anything else.

9. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Thank you very much msquared. It's about time someone showed a little decency. If there's anything I can do to help you out, just let me know. Thanks again.

10. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    One more thing for all of you critics: If no one ever tried to push the envelope in hopes to make things better, how would we ever get anywhere?

11. flange

flange

Feb 22, 2005
    Cochrane Alberta
    + 1000

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Imagine if the Wright brothers didn't have that curiosity.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    No need to get hostile, I was simply asking you what your background in electronics was simply because I've fixed more things because people think they know what they were doing than were damaged due to natural reasons.

Plenty of people have gotten great results modifying things, and plenty of others modify them for the sake of modifying, not improvement. You got your answer, case closed.

14. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Well, I now have a super-bad SABDDI. I got busy doing other things so it has taken longer than I anticipated, but now I have a dedicated mid control and a blue LED. There is one more thing that I altered but that one goes with me to the grave. Thank you to all of you that helped.

15. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    are you pleased with the mod??? I'd like it to have more gain and a mid pot!

could this be possible?

16. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Yes, it is possible.......and it is awesome!

17. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    nice nice!! I've just got a guv'nor (originial but sold it three hours later)

I'm searching for a great overdrive pedal for now!

18. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Good luck with your search.

19. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Which one of the Wright Bros. played bass?