Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

people you can't believe go to college/university

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Groove Reaper, Oct 24, 2005.

1. I go to university at University of Moncton here in my hometown and the other day I was siting in my intro psychology class when some guy in the first row pipes up with this gem of a question: "Is it harder to make a guy than a girl?" the entire class erupted in laughter and I could not belive he asked that and was serious! And he is always asking questions that have nothing to do with what we're learning. The guy girl question came after we were talking about how color blindness is a recessif gene and how it's very rare for women to be color blind. And another time we were talking about visual perception and he breaks into this super long question/story about airplanes that had no relation to the class. I was wondering if any of you guys have any similar stories about people who don't belong at college/university

2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    that sounds very entertaining.

i took the biology sequence for non-majors, which landed me in a class with a bunch of scientifically...deficient students.

anyway, this one girl would always ask if what the professor was talking about at the moment was in some way related to something we eat.

so, after a few days of this, i made it my duty to beat her to the punch! :D

my classes just aren't as entertaining in this regard anymore. :meh:

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have seen it all, and will continue to be bathed in the fountain of the intellectually inert. Classic case numero uno:

I was in an anthropology course back during undergraduate days, and we were discussing early mammal-like reptiles. The professor showed a slide of an artist's representation of what one would look like. The picture was of a side-view/profile of the animal. One girl raises her hand, and asks the professor, "did it really only have one eye?" Now, if you saw the slide, it was apparent that there was feature symetry on the creature, but she, I guess had no sense of perspective or of much else. I almost peed myself when that happened.

Read a book called Non Campus Mentis , which is a hilarious, and disturbing, collection of the most uttlerly clueless writings from one professor's class files. As a community college instructor, I see that constantly.

When I was finishing my upper-division degree seminars during undergraduate, I had a class in which each student was required to write a short historical biography that demonstrated competence with footnote citations. The instructor made each student switch papers with another student and then read and grade the other student's work. I got a paper by a girl in the class that looked and read like it had been written by a five-year-old. The first problem was the subject. She chose Adolph Hitler. The opening paragraph began with a sentence that read like, "Adolf Hittlur was a very badd man back in the day. . . . and pretty much repeated that for three whole paragraphs. She consulted no resources (like those are hard to come by) other than the Internet (and this was back when the Internet was pretty new) and pretty much ignored the whole footnote thing. I had no idea how she got into that class. But I do know how she got out!

More later, I promise!

4. Are you a native French speaker?

5. Oh man. So many have been said, which is why high school has become painful to me.

While not said, It's about Steve. Steve is not a very bright boy. He's not that smart at all. Common sense waved bye-bye along with book smarts. for a test on the parts of an atom (sub-atomic level), he wrote down "MEGABITE, GIGABITE" and I'm not sure about this, but I'm pretty sure he wrote "RAM" for the next one...

I think my brain has subconciously blocked out the bad quotes, because I can't think of any.

I would make a horrible teacher, just because I would punish all the students that said very stupid things.

"Do you realize what you just said?! Go out in the hall with this paper and write it down, and LOOK AT WHAT YOU JUST SAID."

6. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    We were in English lit. and reading essays. This one girl was chosen to read and came to the part about the bass drum. She pronounced it like it was a fish. A fish drum. Now as if this wasn't bad enough she did it another three times. Finally, when I was at the point where I wanted to slit my own wrists, I corrected her.

It is beyond me how she thought those sentences would make any sort of sense especially since the was no fishing whatsoever involved.

Has anyone else heard of a fish drum?

7. I've heard it terms of bass before, but granted, if this was talking about DRUMS, and from context clues, she should have picked it up by now.

8. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

more would be appreciated! :hyper:

and i frickin' swear, that girl in bio class would have asked if that reptile/mammal ancestor would have been edible.

9. Luckily I got out of that stupidity 2 years ago(Im in third year). Now we just make fun of our own major(Soci) when we get asked questions. But it used to be bad. Back in first year during an english course I was taking, we had to do a 5000 word essay. This one guy promptly raises his hand and asks if we can do it in point form.

10. jetsetvet

jetsetvet Banned

Mar 24, 2005
    When I was an undergrad Biology major we had a laboratory section to our Human Physiology course that one day involved performing a urinalysis (a urine analysis) using our own samples.

As we were all looking through our microscopes, characterizing crystals, and casts (dead cell fragments), one woman exclaims out loud, "there are bugs swimming around in my urine sample!" The TA took a look in her microscope and asked her if she had a boyfriend. With a puzzled look, she said, "Yes". He told her that she can inform him that his sperm have excellent morphology and motility, if he ever wants to know. :rolleyes:

11. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Best laugh I've had all day.

12. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

:D

13. Awesome.

14. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA

Incredible.

15. I think that was the most awesome thing Ive ever heard. :D

16. I think the most frustrating thing I ever experienced as a Music Major was MUTC 331/333: Conducting 1 and 2. I really can't explain how people who have been either soloists or concert band musicians, and have gotten into the University Music Program, had never learned to conduct 4/4, 3/4 or any other time signature.

I know lay people who can conduct merely from seeing Orchestral performances. And THOSE conductors are horrible! :)

17. I don't notice that too much personally, but I'm sure that I'm just missing some people. What fascinates me are the students who couldn't do any type of concise scientific write up to save their lives, but can understand and write 20 pages about Faulkner.

18. Here are three from the same history class.

We were learning about desert traveling parties known as "Caravans" some girl chimes in with "Yea right... they didn't have cars back then."

...after her caravan statement she chimes in with "What was the world like before there was color?" Serious, she thought the world was black and white until a few thousand years ago.

...same girl... same class. We were watching a Joan of Arc movie. Right before Joan is lit on fire she chimes in with... "The main character can't die!?"

Check and mate.

19. A drummer in band class, a junior, said "What's 12/8?"

I was in 6th grade when I learned what 12/8 is.

And yes, he does play in 6/8.

20. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV

LOL

Now That, was too good

LOL