Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peoples opinion on DR's...Mine just died

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by odie, May 6, 2002.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Just got a set. Played one practice and one show and BOOM they died. I bought them locally and payed out the nose for them($35).

Should I call the company?

2. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    send em back to the company.. and tell em what happen.. they will more than likely send you another set of strings.. tell em how much you payed too..lol sorry bout your situation dude

3. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    That's unusual. I can understand DRs losing their edge in a few hours, but not going completely dead! I've had the same set of Hi-Beams on my Peavey Patriot for a few years now, and they still sound great. Granted, that bass doesn't get played much since I got my 5-strings, but by rights those strings should have fallen off by now!

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Mine have always held up real well. Very consistent from one pack to the next.

Sorry to hear about your set. Like others have suggested, I wonder if the company could be of assistance.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my opinion of dr is that they are not for me. they didn't last long when i experimented with a few sets - i went through a few sets really fast, and besides, i'll never go back to non-tapered strings again, if i can help it.

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

Actually JT they make tapered sets. Matter of fact these were a tapered set. Sounded great for two jams and bang they were done.

JT you play Dean M's right?? What are your feelings/description of the sound of those?

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, i didn't know dr's came tapered - it's been a while since i tried them (probably ~5 years) so maybe i'm confusing that with another set. i do know that they didn't last long at all for me.

i really like the sr2000's, a lot. they are bright and grindy, and they last a good long time.

the bass tone in the instrumental in my sig is with sr2000's , with the bass set pretty flat, eq-wise. now the tone of the instrument comes through a lot, but the strings contribute to the nice high end that you can hear really well in the first 10 secs or so of the mp3. not too bright, but very present. very flat response, ime, good low freq response, good mid grind. they get a darker high end when slapped than many strings i've tried (listen to the part at ~2:00)

i use a custom gauge that i get direct from them - the will lee sig set is pretty good, but the a, d and g are a bit big for my tastes. i use .078 a, .055 d and .035 g instead of the .087, .067 and .047 respectively. tension is really even across the board, especially now that i've been turned on to their .165 low F# from jauqo.

the gauges i use for various tunings are

.165" f#
    .135" b
    .107" e
    .078" a
    .055" d
    .035" g
    .030" c/b
    .027" e
    .018" a (unwound)

8. Mudvayne4ever

Mudvayne4ever Guest

May 2, 2001
    Conowingo,Maryland
    I tried DR's about 3 or 4 times and they also seemed to die very quickly. In fact,I think they wore out quicker than about any set I've ever tried. I'll try them in the future to see if I get a different outcome. But altogether,I see where you are coming from. -Luke

9. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    odie, contact DR and they will send you a replacement set. I've heard not so good things about DR taperwounds but for the most part I hear positive comments about their other strings. I've used DR Hi-Beams, Fatbeams, and Lo-Riders for several years and have had two defective strings and both times received replacement SETS! Call Tony at DR at 1-800-782-1901 9am to 5:30pm EST. He's always been more than helpful for me with string problems and questions. Good luck!

10. odie

odie Supporting Member

JT Im still blown away when you talk about those string gauges that you use....crazy!! Ive thought about trying some of those Dean M's. but they just dont carry them around here. Maybe I'll need to put an order thru.

Do you ise those Cryo strings, I'll just check out there web site and see what they offer.

Yeah Ive used the regular DR's in the past, but I decided to give the tapered ones a try. Their regular sets seemed to last an average amount of time, but those tapered sounded great and then they died faster than a obvious Taliban walking around NY City.

I think I'll give DR a call and give them another try if not I'll check out those SR2000's

11. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    i used to only use DR's until i ran into the same problem about three or four times with them.

i'd put a new set of strings on my bass, but one of them would be totally dead right out of the box (usually the D string). this was about 3 or 4 years ago, but i finally just gave up on them.

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i tried the blue steels a long time ago back in my 4 string days, but i wasn't too impressed - they were cool, but no different, imo. i'm strictly an sr2000 guy. :)