1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Percentage for getting the gig?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Axtman, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Roughly what percentage should a band member get for getting the gig? Thanks.

2. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    tenor.gif

Boy, I can see the fighting fixing to start.

3. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Somewhere between 10% (what a booking agent typically gets) and a full share (e.g. 20% for a 4-piece band).

That's a range I could live with.
    IME - it's been nothing.

This - BTW - is for the _first_ show at a venue.
    You play there every month, it's still just one commission...

james condino likes this.
  4. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I am not trying to start a fight, though with this group it is hard to not. ;-) I am just curious how much of a cut I should get if I find my band a gig. Thanks.

5. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    Been in many different bands for over 5 decades. I cannot remember anytime anyone got paid extra for doing anything in the band. That means we all cut the shares equally. I guess because we all made our contribution to making the band work. This even is as far as supplying the PA or "Driving the Winnebago", as Tucker McElroy said in The Blues Brothers.

I have been a hired gun many times and was given a designated payment, and never knew what others were paid. But most of the time I had an idea.

Have had people book our bands that took their typical 10% cut. But sometimes later found they also took a cut, before they told us what the gig was to pay. They were crooks and eventually people didn't work with them after the word got out.

6. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    If I do end up driving the Winnebago I am definitely checking the accelerator pedal for any signs of spray adhesive.

kobass, leadfingers, Oddly and 6 others like this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

IME: agents get a previously agreed-upon percentage depending on what they actually do (and their 'status' as an agent). i've worked with some who charged as little as 5%, up to 20%, and it can be oddball, e.g., 12.5% or 8%, etc.

when band members book: it can be anything, too. if this is a one-off you might consider a modest fee or none at all. if you're going to be 'that guy' (and act as the band's agent) you need to establish fees with the other members so that there is no misunderstanding going forward. also: just having a gig (even a great one) just land in your lap is hardly a reason to think about a big fat fee. OTOH: if you do book gigs regularly and have good selling chops and networking skills = a reliable fee is in order based on cost-benefit to both yourself and the other members.

it's negotiable! good luck rationalizing your value as an agent with your bandmates! :thumbsup:

Colin Cunliffe likes this.
  8. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    I think some of my past band leaders from years ago are still enjoying their commission! :bawl:

9. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    For my most recent band, I booked 2 of the venues we played. One turned out to be a recurring gig but the other place closed.

I didn't receive or expect anything for booking these shows. Same as when the other guys booked shows for the band.

getrhythm, sears, Liam Wald and 3 others like this.
  10. While it may not be equal, all 3 of us have found gigs for the group. No extra pay for that in our group.

The only "extra" pay is to me for owning/hauling/running the PA and lights. No set % for that, depends on the pay for the gig.

dBChad likes this.
  11. None of the members in any of my bands over the past 30 years have taken extra commissions for booking any shows. When I freelance, I have no idea what anyone is making and agree to my own pay and leave it at that. I’d say around 10% is fair if you all agree to that ahead of time. But again, my band bands (set group of set musicians working together regularly) always just share the gig money evenly.

12. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I've been doing this for almost 40 years and never even heard of such an idea. So I guess the answer is zero.

Liam Wald, ezra1, bolophonic and 6 others like this.
  13. Whatever your band has previously agreed to. Given you are asking the question I'm guessing there is no agreement so probably nothing in your case, or some big arguments over it.

14. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Our BL books 90% of our gigs. The drummer books the other 10%. Neither has ever asked for additional compensation. Our BL, in particular, considers booking to be part of her job description.

15. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Equal cut every person every time, but everybody should be actively looking for bookings.

16. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Slippery slope.

What else is going on in your band that would justify an extra cut -
    Does someone own/bring the PA? Who runs sound during the show?
    Does everyone stick around to help break down the stage?
    Did someone promote the gig more than the other guys?
    Did one of the guys handle the song arrangements?

They say we play for free, it's the load-in and load-out we charge for. If you get where guys take cuts for all the ancillary stuff, it gets that way for real.

17. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

If everyone's pulling their weight in the band; whether it be booking gigs, hauling the trailer of equipment, supplying the PA, running sound/lights, helping with load in/load out, etc., then i really don't think it needs to be split beyond equal shares. On the other hand, if people aren't pulling their weight and just show up, plug in, play, and leave, then the split should reflect that as well.

Oddly likes this.
  18. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Whatever the band agrees to. In the bands I've been in, everyone pitched in where they could, and all pay was split equally.

Who is keeping the website? Who owns the PA? Who travels the furthest? Etc.

19. grimjim

grimjim

Jan 26, 2014
    Chicago, Illinois
    Endorsing artist;DNA Amplification, GHS strings
    I've never taken extra for booking a show. Almost all of our income goes right back into the band for rehearsal space, recording time, merch...….

20. It's whatever your band agrees to. I know it's a lot of work, but if you try to ask for extra cuts it just leads to resentment. Usually, everyone finds some tasks they are good at and they "repay" you by doing that.

And there will be a guy who thinks he "chips in" by being an amazing guitarist/drummer/tambourinist/etc. You have to either live with it, or find someone else (and you know how hard that can be).

stringthrough and Tottery like this.