1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Perception vs. Reality

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I was just thinking that my one year anniversary of my DJ5 is coming when it just hit me that I have a two year anniversary coming up for my black Peavey Forum V, and I may have had my Squier VM P5 three years in 2017. Only my U-Bass will be a year old this summer. Compared to 60 year old guys who still have their first bass, keeping a bass a year is not much, but considering was a GAS-oholic I have been, I feel proud of myself.:D

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    It's a good thing to recognize the keepers!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I can seldom remember when I got a bass, or how much I paid for it.
    Sometimes, I've remembered I HAD a certain instrument, but don't remember selling it.

The instruments price and the ownership anniversaries just don't "stick" in my mind.

TMARK and Dr. Cheese like this.
  4. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Perhaps we should give out chips to those who struggle terribly with GAS?

Hi everybody, my name is ___________ and I'm a GAS-oholic. Its been one year since I last bought a bass. I do from time to time feel the urge but I'd like to thank my sponsor who helps me to go straight home without stopping in a music store.

Come to think of it, this place is probably the worst place for a GAS-oholc to get help.

ak56 likes this.
  5. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    ^^^and we could hold meetings at the local Holiday Inn:

"Friends of Dr. Cheese"

Mastermold and Dr. Cheese like this.
  6. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    I've gone through so many Basses (and Bass Designs) that I have finally (after 50 years) know what I like. I don't have my 1st or even 20th Bass but I have what I found works for me ...a 4 string MP Jazz Bass Satin (rewired) and a 5 string PJ P Bass

NBD Harley Benton PJ-5 HTR Deluxe Series

also, my take on older instruments is that they are just old. Both my Basses now sound as good if not better than any old Bass I might have had, including my '62 P Bass or my 76 MM StringRay.

which Holiday Inn ???

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Dr. Cheese likes this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I like your attitude.

topcat2069 likes this.
  8. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I never understood why gas-aholics would want to get better. I certainly don't want to get better!

alack likes this.
  9. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    As long as you can afford the habit, GAS on!

Dr. Cheese and rogerbmiller like this.
  10. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I don't fall into the category, but I will have owned my L2500 for 20 years in 2017 (don't remember what time of year I got it, but it was in '97 and it was either Spring or Autumn...I remember it being a mild day, not hot and not cold...)

But I have hung onto this bass because it is just bad-assed, made in USA, and very solid. It wasn't until around the mid 2000's that I have done some research about the L2500 and realized that it was one of the very first to leave the factory, and perhaps the only one in existence with the options that it has, like 4-piece flame maple neck, blueburst with natural binding and flat body with no forearm contour. I have not seen another like it.
    Mine has definitely been played, lots of scratches and dents and dings in the body, the gloss finish is severely matted in the slap-area between the neck and pickup and at the top of the bridge pickup where I rest the Thumb of my picking hand.

It means much more to me than the $800 I could get for it in the TB Classifieds.

I'll keep it 'til I'm dust...

wmmj, Dr. Cheese and topcat2069 like this.
  11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Come in Doc. Buy just one more. All the cool kids are doing it..... :cool:

....and, yes, if all the cool kids jumped off a bridge, I would too. :spit:
    :wacky:

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  12. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    So far so good. It helps that I am in the @Dr. Cheese school of great tone for the dollar!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have no problem with collecting gear. Wasting money and flipping basses that I end up missing is what I want to avoid.

rogerbmiller likes this.
  14. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    I wonder if I am doing something wrong now...
    I bought my 2 Mark Campellones in 89 and 90
    my modulus in 91..
    just traded (last month) my SWR that I bought in 90/91...

I think I pretty much have developed a core and then some out liers that may or may not make the cut over time. But I always buy based on the assumption that I will keep it forever.

kcole4001 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Cool!:thumbsup:

16. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    The only bass I ever let go was a '71 Tele which got traded for a '90s P which got traded for a guitar for a friend, whose main guitar was busted, and eventually got a different guitar in return (long story).

I do miss the Tele.
    The moral for me: never let anything go, just be sure you really want it before buying.

Or conversely, buy everything that interests you just to try it and move on to the next.

Embrace who you are, if you're a GASaholic, just make sure your finances are in order and indulge when you can.
    No shame in that.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  17. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Man - I've had my two main basses 32 (needs a new case) and 14 (will soon) years. I find what I like and keep it.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  18. tim68

tim68

Oct 16, 2013
    Harvest AL
    After being a drummer since my teens, who occasionally flirted with guitar and bass, I took up bass seriously about seven years ago, at age 41.

I don't think that GAS even comes close to descibing me! :wacky:
    Honestly, I have gone through so many different makes, models....and back again...and again.
    I have lost so much money, when I look back on all of it. It's ridiculous.
    Some of them, I look back on, and wonder WHAT I was thinking , when I sold it, traded it, whatever.

After it all, I think I have a handle on what I like, ..and don't. Finally. Maybe. Who knows? :bag:

I like (surprise) P basses.
    I don't like (no offense) J basses....generally.
    I much prefer passive.
    I like four strings. I can play a fiver,.. but I like four.

I arrive at this , after a mind boggling, and insane number of years, flipping basses. I can't do it anymore. .. (as the chorus in my head goes.."Buulll****!") :roflmao:

So there it is. I'm an old-school, passive four string P bass guy. And more than pleased with my two Precisions.. a MIM, and a Squier.

..then, of course, I think about the time about 5 or 6 years ago, that I had TWO American Std. P basses...one White, one Charcoal Frost.. :banghead: :banghead: :bawl:

19. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Other than a 6er I bought, and sold the next week a few years back, pictured below are all the basses I've owned since picking up my first, the '67P (front left) around ~1971. When I buy something, I keep it, much like my folks, who to this day, will not through away Consumer Reports mags from the '70's. Probably explains the collection of cardboard TP/paper towel tubes in my closet.

Basses.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  20. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i'm done unless i start making real cash again off my art, but i do love my 3 basses, all usa g&ls

topcat2069 likes this.