Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Percussion or Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scarset, Mar 31, 2001.

1. scarset

scarset

Mar 27, 2001
    What is a better bass guitar A Percussion or Jazz Bass??

2. y'mean precision or jazz? I'd go with the jazz.
    more tone options, better looking (heh), more versitile.

3. Yea Percussion Basses don't tend to make good bass guitars... you know that bass drum just doesn't seem to want to get all the notes out.
    If you ment Percision or Jazz... thats a personal preference.

4. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    They arent exactly better than each other.It all depends on what sound you want.One would be better for 1 type of playing and they other would be better for a different type.

5. Which is why I have both. :) But, if I were to choose one or the other, I'd choose a Jazz.

6. You're talking about being a drummer or a bassist? :confused:

7. each for different types of music?? i think the J can do it for many types, IMHO.

if I want to play punk, I turn up the tone and make it more trebly, turn up bridge pickup
    if i play something that's not as trebly as punk i turn the tone down, turn up neck pick-up

i dont see the need for a P, but what do i know.

8. scarset

scarset

Mar 27, 2001
    Ya i meant precision or jazz haha i dont know what i was thinkin haha well thanx for all of your guys opinions cuz i was plannin on gettin a new bass and i was wonderin which one to go with.

9. badboris

badboris

Dec 26, 2000
    I too was facing this decission a couple years back and what I did was go for a little of both. I bought a Precision bass special/deluxe series, with both P and J pick-ups, by blending the two pick ups you can get a pure P sound or something closer to a Jazz sound or many variations in between.
    Mine is the "standard" MIM model, it was $459 at Mars, there is also the Squire MIJ model for a little less.

10. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Either one now, and the other one later. :D