1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(Percussion) Stomp Boxes

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BlitzCraig, Sep 10, 2019.

1. BlitzCraig

BlitzCraig

Sep 28, 2018
    Couldn't find a great place for this - hopefully no complaints landing here

Find myself playing w/o a drummer occasionally, and I'm looking for input on Stomp boxes... You know, the little boxes that thump when you tap them with your foot - digital or not, wood or not etc it's all fine - even homemade boxes. Anybody love/hate them with reasons willing to share?

Thanks in advance

2. chupacerveza

chupacerveza

Jan 3, 2011
    Austin, TX
    BeatBuddy should get you there

BlitzCraig likes this.
  3. BlitzCraig

BlitzCraig

Sep 28, 2018
    I appreciate the input (and pardon my ignorance lol) but isn't that more of a drum machine kind of thing? - - for clarity, I'm not looking for a "digital drummer" or anything just something that makes some good, deep sound when I tap it with my foot

If that's what this is and I'm completely wrong about it, my apologies ;)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    chupacerveza likes this.
  4. landrybass

landrybass

Oct 23, 2011
    I built a stompbox almost exactly like Les Claypool was using with his duo band Duo De Twang. We used it for a couple years gigging but I’m not currently playing out. I’ve sort of converted it into a digital sound using the Roland kick pedal. This video explains it all, check it out!

5. BlitzCraig

BlitzCraig

Sep 28, 2018
    Nice thanks - I'll check it out tonight

6. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I think there's two kinds stompboxes: Acoustic and electric. The electric ones are really just resonate plank of wood or a box with a piezo. They don't make much sound acoustically. But the other kind you can actually hear in the room and can be made from cigar boxes, old suitcases, or you could add a foot pedal to a Cajon. Google stompbox percussions, foot percussion, mississippi drum machine, and suitcase kick drum.

I made one of these that I use with my resonator guitar.
    I didn't use duct tape, I screwed it together and used cap nuts so it sits slightly off the floor. It sounds like a closed hi-hat. It's definitely loud enough for acoustic settings.

––––––

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

upload_2019-9-10_11-54-12.

[​IMG]

SlowpokeJoe, Will_White, REV and 2 others like this.
  7. ElectricMatthew

ElectricMatthew

Aug 19, 2009
    Cheez and BlitzCraig like this.
  8. BlitzCraig

BlitzCraig

Sep 28, 2018
    Thank you all for the replies - I've got a lot to look at tonight for sure

What are your general thoughts on these? Useful for a guitar + bass duo type of setting?

landrybass and chupacerveza like this.
  9. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    You mean for gigging? I've never tried it. But I've used mine when jamming with buddies. I believe in tapping my foot loudly so there's no doubt about where the beat is. So it's great for that.

BlitzCraig likes this.
  10. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I built one myself using a cigar box, a vintage license plate and a piezo pickup. Called it the Gatineau Stomp Box since it was a 1930s-era Quebec license plate I used. Sounded like crap.

I then bought a commercial one - A Shadow SH Stomp unit. Sounded good but the ergonomics weren’t working for me. I’m kind of a heel stomper, not a toe tapper.

Gave up trying after those two experiments but I’d like to try to get something close to what Scott H Biram uses in his Judgement Day video.

BlitzCraig and chupacerveza like this.
  11. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Were you running it into your amp or the PA? I'd think they would need some EQing. If I built one, I'd put a tone pot on it. Like this guy:

BlitzCraig and chupacerveza like this.
  12. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    We use a Woodskin. It's made in Australia and is a cajon with built-in kick and snare pedals.

Here it is in action with me doing my one-man-rhythm-section thing. The sound isn't great as it's straight from the desk but you can get a very convincing kick and snare sound with a kick mic inside the box and an SM58 pointed at the face of it.

chupacerveza, Oddly and BlitzCraig like this.
  13. I made one many years ago out of a piece of 1/2" walnut I found at the hardware store.
    cut it to a rectangle about 10" x 8", glued a small piece about 1/2" x 10" to one edge so it had a small incline, then I bought a $5 piezo pickup, glued it to the bottom, and sent that out to the PA.
    sounded pretty good for my UB & Slide guitar duo I had for a while. I have no idea where it is now.

chupacerveza and BlitzCraig like this.
  14. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    BlitzCraig likes this.
  15. Barticus

Barticus Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2017
    NEOhio
    SDrum for writing, jamming alone or even live solo - easy-peasy :woot:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    BlitzCraig likes this.
  16. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Amp (Gibson Falcon) when I doing some americana stuff with the cigar box. PA when I was accompanying myself on resonator with the Shadow unit. I EQ'd the snot out of the one in the PA.

48thStreetCustom and BlitzCraig like this.
  17. Cheez

Cheez Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Texas/Louisiana border
    Not a bass drum/stomp box (and usually played on the 2 and 4), but I’ve been using a “low boy” hi hat you might want to check out. It’s been handy in my 3 piece.

BlitzCraig and 48thStreetCustom like this.
  18. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    landrybass and BlitzCraig like this.
  19. DanTheQuaker

DanTheQuaker Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Seattle, WA
  20. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    What's your experience been with the SDrum? I'm reading some mixed reviews. Is it easy to get a drum pattern happening in real time or is it something that you would just use by yourself. For instance, at last night's jam at my house we didn't have our drummer, is it easy and quick enough to get a beat going for each song or would I be spending too much time mucking around each song?