Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Percussionists: Anyone know the instrument Ben Harper plays in "Blessed to be a Wit..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mz91, Apr 11, 2004.

1. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Hey Percussionists...
    Lately i have piqued my interest in Percussion. And on the latest Ben Harper DVD he plays some sort of percussion instrument that looks like a wooden box on the song "Blessed to be a Witness." Its a reallly cool instrument and has alot of usable different sounds!
    I was wondering if anyone knew what instrument that was and any info on it is appreciated. thanks!

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
  3. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Thanks a bunch Xush!!!

Damn, that pretty much sux though! I was hoping i could buy one of those. But for $600!!! Theres nothing else thats similar??? Man, thats a pity! I was really looking forward to trying one of those out! :mad:

M

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I met Michael Thiele at an art festival in Chicago. He's pretty much the designer, and to my knowledge, only one to craft these instruments.

He's really into different size and shape boxes, and uses some of the most beautiful exotic hardwoods I've seen!:D

Check out some art festivals this summer, and see if he comes to your area. He did a whole tour last year, IIRC.

5. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    seems like I've seen some more affordable versions in various places, just can't remember exactly where. I think I've seen them in stores selling African Art, and in a few music stores. Sorry I don't have any more specifics.