Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Percy Heath transcriptions...

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by dlloyd, Jan 19, 2005.

1. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I've been listening in awe to Miles' Blue Haze CD and Percy Heath's playing on it, particularly on Four and Tune Up. Does anyone have a transcription of either of these lines?

2. Get out your pencil and manuscript paper ......

bskts247 likes this.
  3. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Heh, will do... just looking for a shortcut :)

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Ed will come round soon and tell you there are no shortcuts!!!

5. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    :)

While we're on the subject of Percy Heath, this thread (Bass greats in the Newbie sticky at the top of the forum)...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129160

...has no mention of him. Glaring omission, or am I wrong and does he, in fact, suck?

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - there's no doubt he's a good Jazz player and has played on a lot of great records - but if you loook at something like the "Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD" - there are literally thousands of DB players on record, so there's no way that every one will be mentioned...:meh:

I could name dozens of great UK DB players who have really impressed me - but nobody in the US has heard of them and their names won't come up in lists of "the greats"....

7. Listen to every Percy blues you can grab. Indispensible.

8. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Neither. The question propelling that thread is, "Who are the "essential" bassists that would help someone understand the full capabilities and scope of DB?" The guys I noted in that thread were the people who, in my shallow opinion, really put the double-bass where it is today. Percy Heath is a wonderful player -- I'll never be fit to eat his dust -- but if someone said, "You'll never get to listen to Percy Heath again in your life" it wouldn't change things for me at all. In contrast, if someone said, "No Charles Mingus" or "No Dave Holland" (both of whom I also didn't list; God knows why) or "No Scott LaFaro" or "No Stanley Clarke" it would be like losing a finger.

Plus, DL, it's all subjective. I chose to put Michael Moore, Stafford James and Scott Colley on my list because they mean that to me. Lots of knowledgeable folks wouldn't feel the same way. If Percy means that to you, man, then you're right and have at it.

9. bskts247

bskts247 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Old thread but my teacher holds Percy Heath as the basic of all bassists. Simple bass lines that show you where the next change is going. I've been listening to him a lot lately because of it and he's right.

Tom Lane likes this.