1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Percy Jones Interview

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Hopper, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Hopper

Hopper

Sep 24, 2008
    London
    derg, old spice, joe vegas and 2 others like this.
  2. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I love this quote from the interview:
    "The Guys I play with view the Grammys like looking into another Universe. It seems littered with entrepreneurs who sing and sell sneakers or whatever as a sideline."

ahc, joe vegas, Marial and 2 others like this.
  3. A shame that some (even to this day) think Mr. Jones is derivative of Pastorius - as a young player, I was greatly attracted to Percy's playing because he used a fretless instrument like Jaco, yet had his own tone and a complete approach. I thought at the time that there might be hope for a mediocrity like myself to have an original sound someday, using the same instrument as these far more accomplished players.
    I daresay Jones explored the possibilities of the fretless bass more thoroughly than Jaco, this being likely due to the crippling effects of fame and other issues that factored so heavily in Jaco's later career, reducing his innovative playing to what Zawinul later dismissed as 'circus tricks'.

NigelD, Les Ismoor and Dr. Cheese like this.
  4. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    ^^The same argument could be made about Mick Karn. It seems like all you have to do is play fretless to be compared to Jaco.

C/S,
    Rev J

joe vegas and Dr. Cheese like this.
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Percy and Alphonso Johnson are my big influences on fretless. His approach was far more adventurous than most others IMO and I still dig the fun aspect of the instrument that he always seemed to exhibit. Out of the box in a good way.

NigelD, Dr. Cheese and Marial like this.
  6. I listen to a lot of vintage Brand X these days.... I really don't think he sounds anything like Jaco at all. Just because its fretless....

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think favoring the bridge pickup also made many put the Jaco clone label on Percy Jones.
    Alphonso Johnson did not use that sound, and he never suffered from the clone label (the fact he was internationally known before Jaco helped too!:smug:)

alack likes this.
  8. Hopper

Hopper

Sep 24, 2008
    London
    Although he hasn't used that sound for some years now - but yes, people forget about Alphonso Johnson's contribution to fretless playing

9. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    One of the guys in one of my wedding bands plays with him (just read the article, it's Chris, the saxophonist, I didn't know he was mentioned), andhe told me he's quite brilliant (in an intellectual sense, not just musically) and does something involved with physics or engineering for his main living. Next time I see him I'll have to ask again.

Marial likes this.
  10. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Jaco is great, no doubt about it, but because in the way in which he died he has become elevated to some degree. I refer to it as the Kennedy effect. I know I'll get flack for this, but to me Jaco is a bit, dare I say, overrated. Percy Jones has always been one of my favorites and I am kicking myself for missing Brand X playing in Sellersville last Friday January 6, 2016. Alphonso Johnson and Ralphe Armstrong are also two other of my favorite fretless players besides Colin Bass and Richard Sinclair and even Jack Bruce in his later days with his Warwick. I always felt that Jaco did too much "Myuah" sound to the point of it being borderline gimmick. Check out the Brand X albums "Livestock" and "Masques". Percy's "Malaga Virgen" on "Livestock" and title track on the "Masques" album are prime examples of his awesome fretless playing. One at 200 MPH and the other just drifting down a stream.

Official Brand X | Facebook

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    Brad Johnson, NigelD and Les Ismoor like this.
  11. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

I just saw a youtube vid of Alphonso playing a Warwick Alien Fretless A/E Bass that is pretty recent.

12. jn14211

jn14211

Jan 26, 2017
    INW
    Percy Jones is certainly the first name that comes to my mind when the term 'fretless bass player' is mentioned.

13. Les Ismoor

Les Ismoor Masochist of the First Order

Sep 10, 2015
    SW Ohio
    I first saw and met Percy Jones in the late '70s at a Brand X show, and he was playing fretless P. I went out and bought one a couple of days later, and never stopped playing fretless (although never as well as Percy, to be sure).

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I like this question from the interview:

"KH. You’re inclined towards odd, stumbling, rhythms, often evident in the more minimal sections of your music. I can hear you fishing around on a root note, initiating triplets at the start and end of phrases, sliding around, popping and stretching harmonics. Rhythmically it can resemble something a hand-percussionist (a tabla player, for instance) might do. At it’s most extreme it’s like the sonic equivalent of cartoon creature bumbling along with an odd walk, occasional letting out birdcalls, or something. Do you accept there is a comic dimension to your playing?".

Bob_Ross and jn14211 like this.
  15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

16. jn14211

jn14211

Jan 26, 2017
    INW
    We accept that reality, however, we can't help ourselves, we think in a 'comic dimension'.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Percy is one of the most inventive bassists around IMO... he doesn't just color outside of the lines, he threw away the book.
    :D

Bob_Ross and Passinwind like this.
  18. jn14211

jn14211

Jan 26, 2017
    INW
    like yesterday's newspaper