1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Percy Jones? Old Human League??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by pbasswil, Jun 28, 2014.

1. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    Hey folks, lately I've been having a look at The Human League (They passed me right by in the '80s when I was a jazz snob. :^)

I came across this very early track of theirs that has really fun electric bass on it. A bouncy, organic, disco line! The tone and feel is kind of familiar; then it occurred to me:

Is it possible this is Percy Jones??
    (** Go to around 1:00 minute in.)

- Peter

2. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    My money says it's John Giblin. Fun track!

3. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    Hey, that's starting to make sense.
    Thanks for the reference -- I was unfamiliar with J Giblin, but have just looked him up. I had no idea that he and P Jones were kind of a tag team on Brand X albums; I'd only been aware of P Jones.

Anyway, it's a beautiful feel, and righteous Wal-y fretless tone.

Since you're clued in with this era, what would you make of the bass on this
    track?:
    With the ghost note articulation in parts (e.g. 2:18), I'm guessing it's picked. But it's got that 80s bridge pickup tone again:

- Peter

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The Thompson Twins always had some cool fretless tones on their songs too, but if I remember correctly it was a synth with them.

5. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    Yeah, I like that sound too! They used variations of it on over half their tracks, I'd say.
    I never found out for sure what synth it was from, but I got some hints that it might have been one of the Oberheim OBX series.