Percy Jones

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Groove*Rocket, Jun 4, 2001.

1. I've noted a feww T.B.ers who have appreciated this incredible bassist. I wonder if anyone is familiar with what Percy is doing lately. What is his best recorded work since Brand X?
  2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I actually have a very recent Brand X album called "The X-Files" that is a compilation of things that Percy and John Goodsall have done since the Brand X glory days. My favorite things on it are the Percy tunes "Last of the Mohicans" and "$10,000 Bookshelf". The Goodsall material on the disc was a little too '80's L.A. fusiony for my tastes. I think Percy played in a group called Glass Tiger for a while. He'd be a GREAT front-page feature for someone to interview for TalkBass!
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Aye! Percy to TalkBass! Wizard from Wales! Percy to the people! :D

Hasn't he been playing with his own band, "Tunnels", recently? Last I heard (if I remember it correctly), he was a part-time working musician in the Big Apple, hardly making a living... I think I read that in an interview somewhere... I have to find that one again.

EDIT: Found the interview! :) (Well, duh, it was bookmarked in my browser... :rolleyes: ) I didn't read through it again though, so I still don't know if I remember it correctly.
  4. I'll sign the petition to get Percy here!!

It was because of Percy's work with Brand X that I first realized I had to play a fretless. I had the pleasure of seeing him a couple of times with them, and got to spend about an hour or more with him after one of the shows. He taught me more about how to coax sounds and tone out of a bass than I had learned in 3 years of playing and studying.

The man is smmmoooooooooooooooth.

I think Dann Glenn had said Percy was going to appear on Dann's next cd.

This is the link for Percy's new stuff
  5. Hey fretless5,

Can you convey some of the things that Percy taught you when you had your session? Thanks for the Buckyball link. Has anyone heard the doublel live Brand X listed here. How does it compare to Livestock??
  6. Hey Oysterman,

Thanks for the link. I really enjoyed the article. I fully support recruiting Percy for a feature on TB. It sounds like he may have a bit of time on his hands.
  7. Hi Groove*Rocket.
    Basically, I got to sit down with him and he showed me how to do the sliding harmonics thing, muting and fingering techniques. Up to that time I had been almost exclusively playing with a pick, and was trying to be the next Chris Squire.

And as impressive as his playing is, he is every bit as much a nice guy. I was 18 or 19, and he was more than willing to take time to talk to me. I'm sorry I really can't give you much of the actual conversation, it was really more showing me how to position my hand and saying "Ok, now you try it.."
    Plus it was 25 years and many brain cells ago.

Some day I'll figure out "Malaga Virgen".