1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Percy Jones

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kesslari, Sep 14, 2008.

1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Just rediscovering Percy Jones.
    What a killing tone. Very cool, very individual style.
    This is a nice example:

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    No love for Percy?

3. I dig the Perc. Lemme peep the clip...
    Edit: Oh my. Mere moments into it now- insane. He's yet another oft-mentioned great that I don't know enough about, but that must change.

5. I think Percy is great. I had his instructional video from the 90s. A real artist and a unique voice on the bass.

6. Never heard of him.....on my new top bassist list...guy is awesome, just watched his instructional vid...amazing ear on that guy..his intonation is brilliant.

7. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I've seen him 4 times, twice with Brand X back in the day ("Masques" and "Product" tours) and Tunnels twice. One of my favorite fretless guys for certain, very individual and unique. Plus, very cool guy to hang out and talk with!

8. funkifiedsoul

funkifiedsoul Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    "Brand X" is a must hear. (Phil Collins on drums too) but the clips on youtube won't due them/him justice. Pick up a CD. I reccomend "Product".

9. fing3rs

fing3rs fing3rs

Sep 6, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    Check out Percy on the Tunnels version of Inseminator. The Brand X version is awesome too. His work with Tunnels is top notch. One of my favorite fretless players.

10. hills1234

hills1234

May 6, 2007
    NZ
    Great player with a unique voice on bass. Percy was an early inspiration for me in the 70s with his Brand X playing. Moroccan Roll and Unorthodox Behaviour were my fave albums (on vinyl back then!).

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Definitely one of the cats with his own voice on the instrument, a true artist!

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    p.s. for anybody who wants to hear what Percy is up to lately, check out the new album by Vic Stevens. He shares bass duties with Michael Manring.:bassist:

13. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Unbelievable live. My fav fretless player hands down.

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I never really dug Brand X, despite considerable effort. However, I did like their track "Wal to Wal", thats worth hearing if you can find it. However, despite not really loving his playing, I always dug Percy for being such an innovator.

15. NickBass81

NickBass81

Jul 4, 2008
    Rovigo(Italy)
    Endorsing Bulkmusic Strings
    One of my greatest fretless inspirations ever...he's one of those guys you recognize from the first note....

16. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I never got into Brand X -- despite being a die hard fusion fan back in the 70's, I always thought those guys were "second tier" composers compared to the Mahavishnus & RTFs etc -- but I loved Percy's work with Brian Eno. That was some fabulous playing.

17. GazzBass

GazzBass

Apr 20, 2008
    Love Percy Jones. I got into him more through the freaky stuff he did with Eno more than Brand X though I've learned to like that stuff more as I got older. He was a big influence on people like Mick Karn, Bill Laswell and Kevin Hopper with all that pinggin' and Poppin' stuff he does. I've been listening to the Tunnels albums a lot recently. Great stuff.

18. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yeah, I never really got into Brand X either despite loving fusion. They just never really hit me as being very good at writing anything you could remember and go "now that is good music".

19. I love his work with Brand X and Eno. Definitely one of my inspirations.