Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Percy Jones

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by crww69, Nov 11, 2002.

1. crww69

crww69

Nov 10, 2002
    Just a short message about the perserverance of quite possibly my favorite player(Jonas Hellborg running a close second!)A few months ago I saw Percy w/Tunnels at an outta the way Baltimore bar.I was prepared for disaster,no one was there and the venue,for lack of a better word,was a dump.but,nonetheless Tunnels forged ahead and put on one hell of a progressive fusion show.And,I'm new to this board,but after seeing Percy LAY it down,up,sideways and off the neck w/his IBANEZ EDA5 Fretless(magnetic p/u removed!)Old-skool GrooveTubes preamp(built by SWR,eons ago!)powered by a beat-up CROWN PB-2 runnin' into some no-name 2-15 cab;I gotta say it was refreshing,considering how much time people waste talking about who's gear is better and whatnot.The fact that this TRUE ORIGINAL(IE,the tone,NO ONE and I mean NO ONE sounds like Percy!) was still able to burn it up for like maybe 25 people,man my hat is off to you Percy>A prince of a guy to boot!Thats all for now,just thought I'd share that w/ you all.

2. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I sure wish he'd come down here to Houston.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    just saw him in philadelphia...always my favorite fretless player.

4. to call Percy an original doesn't really come close does it? the man SLAMS! a mighty groover, an unbelievably melodic player, an intense harmonic architect, and a soloist in his own realm... what can you really say aboutt he cat that does him justice. I wish that he had a bigger fan base, that more people were aware of him... but I wush that for me, too!

:D

just keep putting out the word. all good things come full circle.

from the low end,

Stew