Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Perfect environment conditions for solid DB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Mrs.Mac, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Resident of central Alabama, what is the perfect enviroment for a fully carved bass?

2. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Southern California...or any other place that does not have seasons. ;)

3. You probably just got the same cool dry shock we are experiencing in Atlanta. Trust me, ours in not the best environment for a carved DB. Personally, I have taken some considerable risks with my carved bass, using it on two daytime outdoor July gigs (under shade of course) and l also had it outdoors for several hours last night with the temp at 45 degrees or lower. It seems like mine does OK as long as things change slowly. I leave it in the case for a while when it is going from heated indoors to cold outdoors or vice versa.

Also, to prevent the central heat from drying it out I have an inexpensive Sunbeam ultrasonic humidifier that dumps about a gallon of water a day into the room where I keep the bass. This model turns on and off as the room humidity varies so it maintains a relatively constant level. I keep the door closed so that it doesn't try to humidify the whole house. The only thing I don't like about the ultrasonic humidifiers is that the mist comes out cold but I'm sure they don't draw as much current as those that produce steam. Either way, it is a good idea to humidify the place where the bass is during the cold season particularly if you are using forced air central heat. The room humidifiers are cheap and effective compared to repairing a crack.

Also this is a good time to check the fit of the soundpost and make sure it is not too tight due to shrinkage of the wood. During the winter some shrinkage and drying is just unavoidable.

4. I've got a humidifier that neither puts out mist nor steam.

The water is drawn from two tanks, up into a thick, sponge-like membrane, and air is then drawn by small fans up through the membrane, creating naturally mosit air and expelled into the room.

It is reasonably quiet, very effective and mine is a console model that can actually handle the interconnected lower two floors of my home.

5. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

We have seasons, their just all real nice

6. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

Indeed, evaporative humidifiers are the best kind for keeping a bass happy. They prevent wet surfaces and the "dust" that be created when the mist from ultrasonic types dries. I have an evaporative humidifer devoted to my bass to supplement the whole-house humidifier during the winter months.

7. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Hector, what's the brand of the humidifier you have?

8. Mine is an Emerson MoistAir 13 console model. It has two 2.5 gallon tanks.

9. It might be mentioned that most of the evaporative console models sell for over $100 and many of the ultrasonic types are under $20. I haven't noticed any dust or condensation;- the mist dissapates about 2 ft. from the vent so there are no surfaces getting wet. The one I have automatically rests when the desired humidity level is reached so you don't get a soggy room at all. I suppose caution should be used in terms of placement of this device to prevent condesation.