Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Perfect Pitch, baby (and I'm not talking 'bout baseball)!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, Sep 25, 2001.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Does anyone have any experience with those "Perfect Pitch" CDs I see advertised in Guitar World? I have had an interest in trying them out for quite a while now, but I want to know if they really work (I know, I know -- there is a money back guarantee). Let me know if anyone has been successful at using them to perfect their ear, or if they know someone that has been successful with them, or even if they know someone that would say, "On a scale of one to ten, they suck!"

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's very hard to believe that they would work, but I will report back on them eventually.

A bass buddy of mine sent off for them, and he is gonna let me burn a copy of them.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  4. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Some people are born with it. I have a pianist friend who can pick out individual notes of ANY chord with amazing accuracy just from hearing it played.

5. I play my bass and sometimes i'll close my eyes and see what note i'm playing. 90% of the time i'm right, it's scary :eek:

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Kind of a slippery slope here. I want to say that my friend has perfect pitch as well. I'm not sure that he does. I think what he has is excellent relative pitch.

What he does, is when a note is played, he references the pitch based upon about 10 songs, in different keys, he has in his head. He's a huge New Order and Depeche Mode fan, so he has about 10 different New Order or Depeche Mode songs, in his head, in the right pitch, and he'll reference the note(s) he just heard against that. And because he knows his scales so well, if he's a semi-tone or two off, he can just move up or down the chromatic scale, in his head, to find the right pitch.

He has done this SO much, for SO long, that he can sit down to play a song on the piano, that he hasn't heard for years. Of course, he may likely have perfect pitch, but it's more likely he has excellent, highly developed, relative pitch.

7. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    The way I do it myself is to sing "Doe, a deer, a female deer" in my head, Doe being middle C - I can always sing this song in C. :)

8. I can tune a bass/guitar to standard tuning without a tuner. I'm usually a tiny bit flat or a tiny bit sharp, but close enough to actually get on stage and play if I had to. I hum the opening synth notes to A Forest by The Cure. The first note is an A, and I tune to it.

9. Now try that with a fretless and we'll see how good you are...

"5 cents flat of a c#?"

"damn, it was 6 cents flat"

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hell, I'm usually a buck and a quarter sharp.

11. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I think i have partial perfect pitch. For an example, one time i just put new strings on, and then i just cranked the string up so they were kind of in tune, but i went to an other room to get a tuner, my bro picked my bass up and said it was in tune, and he was right. Almost perfectly.

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Yes, that proves it.

:D

13. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    I played with a drummer who had perfect Pitch one time. Everything had to be exactly in tune or it would drive the guy up the wall! His pitch was so good, he could name the pitches in his cymbals (not just the fundamental, but overtones and all). One of my theory teachers has perfect pitch and he can tell the pitch of birds, bells, lawn movers, etc. One of my freinds has perfect reletive pitch, and that is probably the most useful thing to have. It still bothers him when things arn't in tune, but it dosn't make him change everything. I think I'm just tone-deaf! I have a terrible time with any arual theory, I just can not do it! I guess it just takes practice and practice and practice...

Lee

14. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I can also tune my bass without a tuner and have it be damn close (from there I can tune to drop D as well. However, it's easier for me to tell when my bass is out of tune than to tell when it's in tune). What I was looking for with the Perfect Pitch CDs, was a way to "learn" what a pitch sounds like -- like if I was listening to a song, I want to be able to name the notes as they play 'em. As it is right now, I have to fart around with all the notes until I hit the right one. Is this normal -- is this what some of you mean when you talk about playing by ear?

EDIT: Holy jeez! I didn't realize that I was over the 500 post mark! Whoopie!

15. do yourself a huge favor and bye them, the really do work.

16. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    But it obviously hasn´t improved your spelling..

17. It's perfect pitch, not hooked on phonics.

geez...

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As far as tuning a bass goes, I can hum a low E. So I can tune any of my basses, starting with the E string, tune the rest to it, and the bass will be within a few cents of being in tune, usually less than 4. And there are a couple of chords, tha I can identify as soon as I hear them. E, E minor, D and D minor.

19. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Have you ever played "Name that pitch!!!" The game where you'll hit something like a lamp shade, desk, glass, etc. and figure out who is the closest? There is also a version where you hear an "A" then name the pitch.

20. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    you might check out activebass.com, they have a simplified version of it on their website. I have yet to get one right though. but then again my tone sucks.