Perfect pitch rocks!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by geoffkhan, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Today one of my friends, a guitarist, asked me to sing an arpeggiated Abm chord. Without thinking I sang it as best I could. Afterwards he played the arpeggio on his guitar, and I was perfectly in tune!

Perfect pitch rocks. I think one of the best advantages is when you're in a band, you can hear exactly what notes anyone else in the band are playing. You can also transcribe songs without your instrument nearby.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    They've added ear training to the requirements for our semester-end proficiency. Specifically, they'll play a chord or motif and you have to play it back to them. I practiced with my teacher today and nailed all 4 chords pretty quickly too. Surprised myself and impressed my teacher, it was pretty neat.
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    *sob* I wish I had perfect pitch...damn.

I surprised myself when I was able to name off intervals in major/minor scales 9 times out of 10 the other day...*sigh* It's slow work, but working nonetheless.
  4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    How easy was everything to understand for you? Like what is exlpained really good and start from the very beginning and cover everything in depth? Are there any kind of books/worksheets that come with it or anything to help you see progress, ect... I've been looking into this.
  5. In Jazz Theory I we have to recognize these chord types by ear:

7 (b5)
    7 (#5)

I made CDs to help classmates practice recognizing chords. If anyone wants, I can email them it. I have intervals, triads, and the aforementioned chords.
  6. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I need that.

Some days worse than others. I find if I've worked on a unit with a lot of crying smaller kids (read that as with near-constant random high frequency noise) I lose some of my pitch sense for a while. If I go away to a more music/less noise environment it comes back.