Perfect pitch

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Cloud_Connected, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Cloud_Connected

Jan 31, 2006
    It can only be achieved genetic?
    Is that bull**** or a truth?
    They say when you get older you lose your perfect pitch, how can you lose genetics?
    I doubt it can ONLY be achieved by birth anyone that agrees?
    Or am i just running in a wheel.
  2. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    Good Relative pitch can be devoloped with ear training but Perfect pitch is something some people (i think its like 1 in every 100K peope) are born with.

If your hearing was damaged or started to go if you got older I could see perfect pitch being affected.
  3. A kid in my high school had perfect pitch. Amazing kid really. He had some social/psychological problems, but he was a brilliant piano player and musician. When I was tuning my bass, I could just pluck a string and he would tell me off the top of his head if it was flat or sharp. I could play any random note on the neck (facing away from him) and he would know what note it was.

Another amazing thing he could do, if you tell him the date and year of your birth, he would know what day of the week it was. I was born on a Wednesday. I checked online calendars, he was right.
  4. I've seen other people with psychological problems do that, too. Probably a trick?
  5. It's learned at a very young age, and there are effective methods for training small children. There is no method available yet for training older people.
  6. As a perfect pitch possesser (although I think I might start to lose it), I think it's probably a combination of the kind of musical exposure received at an early age and some natural affinity. I've read that certain languages incorporate pitch in their vocabularies, and that native speakers of these languages are more likely to have "perfect pitch" or the ability to get close, as it required by their language.
  7. But perfect pitch is not a very natural ... isn't it - it is a kind of "malfunction" since they should have a reference tone built in their ears :) - more natural should be a good relative pitch
  8. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    The daughter of Michel Cusson (guitarist from UZEB) apparently has perfect pitch (my dad knows him).

Story goes he tapped a wine bottle at diner, and she said "Hey, that's an A#". He was like, waddahellyootalkin'bout? Turns out she was right. :p And it's not like Cusson doesn't have any ear.

I think it's kind of a curse at the same time as an amazing talent. I mean, as soon as someone plays slightly out of key it probably gets anoying as hell for them. And I've met some people who have perfect pitch and have no musical talent whatsoever.
  9. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I believe you can only be born with perfect pitch. However, you can develop near-perfect pitch. Yesterday in Music Theory, my teacher played 10 chords and we had to guess if they were major, minor, diminished, or augmented. I got all of them right, then on the last 3 I decided i'd guess the pitches for kicks. Out of the 3 I guessed on, I got 2 100% right, and the other one I was off by a half step (I guessed D, it was Db.)
  10. A cappella ensembles practicing without pitch pipe are the bane of our existence.
  11. Cloud_Connected

Jan 31, 2006
    Gsys, could you explain how it feels when someone plays out of key.
    Does it hurt or is it just anoying.
    I meen when someone scream in my ear it hurts but if i had perfect pitch would i probably get down on the ground and scream like i was dying or something?
  12. It doesn’t hurt, and if they maintain their off-pitch it’s just slightly unsettling if anything not being able to sit in a key with certainty. If they drift over the course of the piece, it’s hyper-annoying and occasionally headache generating.

In the former situation, it’s basically just not having a frame of reference except that defined by the song. Some arrangements are good at creating their own tonal landscape. Some aren’t. Mary and her Little Lamb need defined coloration and a sunny farm to run around on, or else they’re just floating out there in zero-g space.

In the latter situation (drifting), it’s like when you’re listening to a group and some groups of instruments are out of tune. It grates.

Things that aren’t supposed to have functional pitch, like screams and totally awesome death metal vocals don’t bother me.