Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Perfect setup??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassplayajew, Aug 26, 2002.

1. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    Intonation wise, I believe I have found the perfect set up (if any ones interested). Nut action: .022", Truss Rod: .015, bridge action: B-10/64ths''; E-9/64ths"; A-8/64ths"; D-7/64ths"; G-6/64ths. With an extensive process of trial an error and the help of my new strobe tuner, I've found every single note on every string to be very, very close to being perfectly in tune.

2. That's cool. It shows a lot of work and preparation.

I've got an observation (in the form of a question)- Why did you measure your nut action in thousandths of an inch while all of your string actions are in 1/64's? Which also begs the question, HOW did you measure the height in 1/64's? Feeler gauges (at least the ones I use) are in ten thousandths but I've never seen one in 1/64's.

I'm not trying to be a pain here, I really want to know.

3. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Where did you measure strng height? Normally this is done by holding down the first note on the string (1st fret) and measuring at the 12th fret)...

4. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    Hambone, I got a ruler from Stewmac that measures in 64ths, I love it. It allows me to be very precise which is very helpful. Also I had to measure the nut action and truss rod relief with feel gauges because the ruler I have isn't that precise.

pd 5string, I measure action without a capo or anything else holding the strings down, just freely at the 12th fret.

I'm very proud of myself because for as long as I've been tinkering with the setup of my basses, I've finally found consistent intonation throughout the fretboard. So I thought I'd share my success. I forgot to mention before that the strings I use are gauges .045, .065, .080, .100, .130.