Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Suburban, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    As you see from the subject, I'm on a quest for "the great cab". That is a rather peculiar item:
    - frequency responce from low F# to sissling heights - flat!
    - enough sonic power to balance with a gospel choir in...
    - 500 seats room (30x40x8 metres), and with a backing band to that
    -light and small enough to haul around between home and different arenas like the above

I've gone through a lot of specs. A lot! And what I find is that Swedish dealers don't deal in great cabs...actually, 95% seems to be combos.

Anyway, I have found some brands that may carry somthing useful:
    Acoustic Images
    Euphonic Audio
    Tech Soundworks

From what I managed to find, very few comments have been posted regarding AI, FlightSound, Hevos and Tech.

Anybody have input on them, regarding sound and capacity?
  2. Check out Accugrove and Phil Jones. They might have what you're looking for.
  3. I researched for quite some time last year before buying my cab. My needs were very similar to your own. I looked at all of the top manufacturers available to me (Eden, SWR, Ampeg, Ashdown, Hartke, Peavey, etc...) and a number of "boutique" companies as well and out of the manufacturers you listed, I went with Acme (a Low B-4). Accugroove was at the top of the list (too much $$$!). In close second (beleive it or not) were the Peavey Pro-Series enclosures (2x10 & 15). The Flitesound cabs were interesting but after talking to various people that own them I determined it wasn't what I was looking for (sound-wise they were compared to Eden). Although now they offer a number of 3-way full range cabs and their prices are excellent. Accugroove and Euphonic Audio (at least from what I've read about EA) are about as close to Acme as you're going to find sound-wise (very "Hi-Fi"). You might also want to check out Epifani and Bergantino. If you go with Acme then make sure you've got some power!
  4. I asume you don't like EBS, but why not? They sound pretty 'flat' to me. Maybe you need to many cabs to have all the frequecies covered?
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    none of those cabs will hit a Low F#, but the Acme does hit a Low B fundamental easily.

a pair of B2's, will be easy to move around, and should give you more than enough sound to cut thru any band. the cabs are one of the more flat sounding so, just be sure to be a little aggressive in the upper mids and highs for a more cutting tone.
  6. kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    What he (joker) said.

A low F# is about 23 Hz. Not even a 2 x 18" sub cabinet will go that low. Only a very few cabs will - Sound Physics Lab, Bag End and Accugroove are the few, the proud, the diarrhea-inducing makers of these wonders.
  7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    As far as i'm aware, the only cab that can hit 23Hz flat is the Accugroove El Whappo Grand, the 21 incher...................

As always, I could be wrong.
  9. Pete

Jan 3, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I gotta say low F# string? I've been a working bassist for the last 10 years and I've never heard a single recording of someone using a low F# string. I mean what do you do with it? Sure, I've detuned to low A as a joke once and a while but come.

Most PA systems if your lucky will be flat from 30-16K +/-2db (pro PA, not MI grade stuff). You're the reason all my amps and eq's have high pass filters AT 30hz or 50hz. What an absolute waste of power.

There's a real trade off between freq response and efficiency (Acme B-2's vs Eden 210xlt). Plus why would you want to overpower a PA and cause that much headache for your soundguy? I dunno, maybe turning 30 this year made me old (and crotchety)...

Sorry for the rant, I hope you do find the answer you're looking for, but to me the question is moot.

10. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Yes low F# string, 1/4th below Low B, standard tuning for a 7 string bass is either B,E,A,D,G,C,F or F#,B,E,A,D,G,C. It's all about range. If you can use it and incorporate it into your music why not? As for AccuGroove, if you have the money, it would be worth it, the Whappo Grande (all AccuGroove stuff ) spec(s) out amazingly, I've never had a chance to try out any of their stuff but the reviews never seem to be less then extreamly satisfied. Here are the specs for the Whappo Grande:

1 - 21” Sub Woofer with die-cast aluminum frame and 4.5” voice coils
    2 Speakon jacks & recessed castor sockets for pop-in castors.
    Professional grade 14-gage, oxygen-free, copper wire.
    High Grade ¾” Void Free Birch Plywood, with Rabbet and Dado Construction
    Power Rating: 800 watts RMS @ 8 Ohms RMS

Frequency Response & SPL: 22 Hz - 400 Hz @ 98 dB SPL (19 Hz @-6)
    Dimensions: 32 ¼”H x 24 ¾”W x 18 ¼”D
    Weight: 87 lbs.
    Retail: $2,160.00

Couple that with basically any of AccuGrooves other cabs and you have a rig of death.... can you say Brown Note.
  11. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, just saying about the low F#, you need a hell of a lot of cab and a hell of a lot of power to reproduce that!
  12. Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    I'm sure Stew McKinsey will back me up on this, The AccuGroove El Whappo is actually quite F# capable. Just for kicks, I hooked mine up to my computer and played one of Progzilla's 8 string sound clips through it. The cab reproduced each pitch down to the F# with no distortion. I believe that Stew has gigged with his 8 string and just his El Whappo and reported good results. The Whappo Grande is best used with the El Whappo if you REALLY want to turn some heads and feel that F#. I think that El Whappo is the closest thing you'll find to a full range system in one cabinet.

13. hey guys,

sorry for the delayed response to the thread, but between gearing up for the tour and various computer glitches, I've been really sporadic on the net lately.

yeah, I have an AccuGroove El Whappo/Whappo Grande rig and a couple of instruments with low F# strings on 'em. I'll be taking all of it out on the road if you want to see and hear it for yourself next month. check here for dates and/or locations to see if we'll be in your neck of the woods:

I swear by my gear. I've been a pro player for more than 20 year and have used the AccuGrooves for the last couple. I have never heard speakers that sound so clean. my sound live is no different that my sound direct and coming through headphones!

from the low end,

14. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Hevos, that's the ****.

Ask j4zz 4d. He tried them out. He wants a set badly because of the flat frequency responce.
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I was trying to decide whether to waste my time saying what you said, so thanks. The whole idea is a waste of time.
  16. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Thanks for all the response!

However, I think many has got hooked on the F# issue. Which is not the basic requirement! Becasue a F# string actually carries a lot of other notes, and the main use for multistrings is the pattern possibilities. The low Bb is indeed useful, as almost all gospel is written in Bb or Eb, and an occational A would be nice, but not necessary.

So, the issue is really flat, light, small and able to fill a 500 seat church. And surely, a "great B"!

I have understood that Accugrove supply top notch gear. Unfortunately at a top notch cost, which throws me into compromising.

Please, if you have any more input on
    Acoustic Images
    Euphonic Audio
    Tech Soundworks
    esp. Flight and Hevos, please fill in!! :hyper:
  17. Once again, out of the ones you've listed I think EA and Acme are going to serve you the best. EA cabs are a little more efficient (ie; louder) then Acmes but the Acme cabs are flatter in frequency response. I would think that two Low B-2 cabs and an amp driving 500 watts to each would most likely cover your needs (and be flexible too). I run a B-4 with 1400 watts and it's been more then enough for any show I've ever had to play.
  18. As you live in sweden i'd say go for the tech soundsystems nd 118 dcmt (it's a 1x18 + 1x10 + tweeter cab)